C4 Forums | Control4

Looking for input on an HDMI 8x8 matrix.....

jeff2908

Been looking for quite some time for an hdmi 8x8 matrix that will be the best video distribution i can get for the heavy price tag of an 8x8. It looks like the Avenview SW-HDM3D-C5 8x8 has the flexibility, specs and quality im looking for. Does anyone have any experience with these units? Does the 3D data from a nas distribute with no faults? Any EDID issues? Does the fact that its only 1.3 hdmi going to be a problem? Any i/r issues? If there is a 720p tv in the network, will the other 1080p tv's be down graded to 720? Is it going to have fast switching and be dependable? For around 4k, i hope it would do the job! Any input or info anyone has would be greatly valued!!

We use them.

-No issues to date with normal use, see below. So now EDID problems etc etc

-Don't use the IR capability so I don't know. Why would I with a C4 system.

-3D capability is not something I would expect to "just" work currently (on anything)- initial test on this was a failure but no real time was spend on it - yet. Essentially no out-of-the-box 3d recognition. We will be working with Avenview shortly however to get the kinks out - hopefully. Fairly positive on outcome.

-1.3 HDMI is fine. It's capable of full 1.4 rating but hasnt gone through the testing yet. Or so I'm told.

Beyond that:

-Control of unit is fine, both IR and Serial.

-As for 3D data from NAS - that has nothing to do with the switch - just with the Media player that plays it.

-The switch merely passes through the signal it receives, this includes EDID. Depending on the source -assuming this is set to auto- it may or may not recognize the switch as the "display" but this is more often an issue with the source. I've yet to see this fail on the Avenview however so likely you'll be good. That said, this day and age, in a HA system no display should be anything less than 1080p capable.

-One downside is due to it's so far well working EDID etc; it's a bit slow to switch inputs (due to the EDID scan).

Thanks for your input Cyknight! Greatly appreciate it. So, out of the box, the unit still will not play 3D files? That seems pretty depressing considering it is being advertised as 3D capable. Will it allow the side by side or top bottom 3D and not the two 1080p signals? And slow switching... Its great that it will be a solid unit, but should i look at another matrix?

I will be using a media player. Probably the new Popcorn a400, a few hd Direct tv boxes and an xbox with the switch at first. I do have a 720p tv in the master bath though. Will the Avenview matrix down grade the signal on the rest of the 1080p displays when that one is on?

1080P is fine, but the audio mix / signal is the real issue.

I ran into an issue with my matrix where I had one tv as an endpoint that was incapable of handling 7.x audio where the other endpoints had receivers driving speakers and could handle 7.x audio. Choice for that scenerio is to dumb down all endpoints to stereo or add a receiver (or better tv) to replace that problem endpoint.

Even if EDID's match up, you have to work with lowest common denominator for shared viewing potential.

Unless I'm wrong, I haven't seen an HDMI Matrix switch capable of remixing audio channels to support 7.x in one location and stereo in another.

3D out of box issue just means you'll have to follow all the set-up etc as the manual states. More a convenience thing then anything else.

Indeed the audio is a possible issue but that is again more an end-point issue than anything else. If any TVs are used for audio this is an issue, if not as far as I've seen the only downside using an Avenview is that you TVs occasionally state they receive an incompatible audio signal.

As said I know of no switch that handles 3d flawlessly - so far. I'm working with a few prospects to figure this out however.

I will be using separate receivers for the location with 5.1 & 7.1 surround and i assumed the any location with just a tv would be setup with stereo sound. Did not thing that would be an issue. As far as you testing matrix units for 3d now Cyknight, i would love to know if you find a winner!

Pstuart, so if there is a 720p tv in the mix, it will down grade the 1080p tv's?

I will be using separate receivers for the location with 5.1 & 7.1 surround and i assumed the any location with just a tv would be setup with stereo sound. Did not thing that would be an issue. As far as you testing matrix units for 3d now Cyknight, i would love to know if you find a winner!

Pstuart, so if there is a 720p tv in the mix, it will down grade the 1080p tv's?

Unless that 720p TV broadcasts its EDID that it can accept 1080p as an input and downgrade it to 720p then all TVs will be downgraded to 720p.

Archived