C4 Forums | Control4

Need Help With C4 Dimmer Compatibility

rocstreet

Im searching for 5" New Construction LED recessed lights (full LED housings, NOT retrofitting LED in a standard housing).

Im looking for anyone who has been able to successfully merge an LED recessed light with the standard Control4 dimmers without flickering and humming. IE, looking for an LED light that has drivers that are perfectly compatible with C4's standard dimmers.

IF ANYONE CAN RECOMMEND ANY BRAND OF RECESSED LED HOUSINGS THAT ARE PERFECTLY COMPATIBLE WITH CONTROL 4 DIMMERS, I WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATIVE!!

THANKS

Assuming these are low-voltage lights - none will ever be guarenteed to work with normal C4 dimmers. You'd need to look at ELV dimmable transformers and ELV dimmers.

I've had some MLV transformer style work fine in one location in the same house, not in the other - a lot of this comes down to the minumum draw on the transformer, how many lights are connected to one single transformer.....

So if I have Juno G3 LED lights and the current standard dimmers are a failure, can I switch to ELV and use the same housings? Or am I SOL since the dealer didn't spec the right stuff to start?

Basically, my question is can I stick the ELV transformers in-line with the wiring to the existing housings?

They spec that theirs are dimmable with ELV AND MLV. They also say Incandescent though, although the C4 dimmers really aren't meant for transformers.

Chances are the ELV would work. If you can I'd try a single before commiting to multiple.

ELV dimmers connect exactly the same way as normal dimmers, and LOOK exactly like normal dimmers, have the same dimensions as normal dimmers - so no worries from that perspective.

With what you are telling me its amazing they spec'ed the wrong dimmers and we even talked about ELV. We went through what I thought was a fairly knowledgeable Juno dealer as well. I will see if I can get a couple to see what happens.

In MOST but not ALL situations, LED equals using ELV dimmer as firs choice - safer bet so to speak. Of course, non of this is in any way a certainty. I've several clients that have changed standard bulbs with LED replacers and kept using the normal dimmers, I had one client put in ELV (yeah you read that right) transformer connected LEDs ... and ended up needing NORMAL dimmers to make them work (rare forward-phase ELV transformer - go figure).

Wish it all is easy peasy but no...

Even Juno's info isnt really accurate (works with normal dimmers, ELV dimmers, MLV dimmers). It's something of a non statement. It neither says it works with everything, nor does is really state what it DOES work with.

Minimum load levels and forward or reverse phase is much more important from a technical perspective.

In MOST but not ALL situations, LED equals using ELV dimmer as firs choice - safer bet so to speak.

Exactly my point--I'm not sure why we didn't start with ELV, or why we didn't try it when we knew we had issues with standard. Instead I was told ELV wasn't an option.

• 1 month later...

Archived