C4 Forums | Control4

control 4 menu blurry on sharp LC-80LE844U

Hi I have had a control4 system (HC-800) installed i my home and have a new Samsung 8000 series led upstairs the control 4 menu is clear and sharp up there. However in the theater room I have installed a sharp LC-80LE844U 80" and the menus are blurry. I know this TV is not as clear as some other high end TV's but the c4 menu is very blurry and the TV units own menus are not. Can anyone tell me why this might be happening?

Ok the installer used component to other rooms in the house but he says hdmi to both of the TV's in question. As to the video distribution there is a large network switch but I don't know if it is handling video I suspect not because the 1300 dollar hdmi to cat 5 box ($1300) was not included in system.. If their is some composite in the house does that mean there has to be a video distribution component that handles both hdmi and composite or can the 800 unit manage some video sources itself?

edit: it appears that there must be a video controller and I am sorry I do not know what that is. This is not my area of expertise but I wish to learn and resolve this issue. Thanks for your interest and help guys. would a picture of the rack help?

OSD is 720P max res. up to 60Hz refresh. I thought I read something about how the controller will not output Comp and HDMI simultaneously. Regardless, if you are distributing video, why did he run both outputs? Was it due to proximity of the two panels in question?

Ok here this is from the video controller invoice:

-VIDEO STORM CMX84 COMPONENT MATRIX SWITCH. 8 IN, 4 OUT

-HDFURY II, HDMI TO COMPONENT

You know why both hdmi and component indeed. What is your opinion on this? This project is a new house wiring. Have I gotten bad advice or is component still a good choice for future proof connections in my home?

^I will tell you that I was very unhappy with my decision to stay component way back in 2008. If your installer pushed comp in 2012, I'd say he is not reading-up on his business. In some cases, it may be perfectly fine though- customer requests it for example. However the customer feels, the fact remains that devices are now produced with nothing but HDMI-out. Otherwise, there is so much product out that converts HDMI to run over even CAT 5e, it would be shortsighted not to discuss options with you.

I am not sure about your problem. If the HDFury device is connected to the affected panel, possible that is a starting point. Also, look at cable routing in relation to high-tension wiring. Do you see any rolling disturbance on the panel too?

right that makes sense. There is some ghosting on the Samsung upstairs. They say it is electrical related. I agree about the hdmi-cat5 solution. And yes I was told that the distance between the rack and the upstairs video panels was so great that a special cat5 box was needed around $1300 and cable costs were much higher with hdmi. But after doing a little digging I and not seeing any real cost benefit here to going the component route.

May I ask you if this sounds right the system is coming out of component on the 800 then going into the VIDEO STORM CMX84 then being converted to hdmi through the fury II then to the panel. Whew ok so opinions vary about converting from composite to hdmi am loosing and quality here? Would you consider the furyII and the VIDEO STORM CMX84 to devices to be " older" Tech.

Here's what I can offer although I'd feel more comfortable discussing this with a Pro. Your CMX84 is probably no different than my Borrego. Your taking-in component sources and routing them back out as component? Composite and component are entirely different modes. I don't think you are dealing with composite...

I run a HDFury III and that is converting HDMI from a central computer to component then into the Borrego. I have read that the HDFury can convert in the other direction but I'm skeptical of that. In fact, I don't believe it. Why did your dealer do this? Do you not have coax running through your house? At any rate, the max distance for the HDFury is around 30 feet. Are you within that range?

Archived