C4 Forums | Control4

Shading Struggle

Chadwick

I am installing my first C4 system.

HC-800 controler

Sonos Audio Zoning

HVAC Control

LiftMaster MyQ Garage door control (looking at future integration to C4) (thats another topic. :/ )

I am struggling with shading options. I have reviewed most of these forums and am have not seen a really good answer as to what to go with.

Layout is as follows

7 blinds in 1 large (1 kitchen, 3 dining, 3 living)

1 in each kids bedroom

5 in master bed

My requirements are a wireless RF system (because of drapery)

integration to c4 system

possible height control based on heat and time of day. (this should be easily possible with c4 from what I understand)

I have looked at Lutron Serena blinds but am not able to fully see if they can easily be integrated. Unfortunately my dealer has only used a wired solution but since all my walls have been completed this is a bit of a difficult option.

I also looked at the Graber blinds using the Somfy control but I have read that the Lutron blinds are much quieter and not fully understanding how to integrate this either.

I myself am a industrial programmer and find the concepts of all this automation quite simple but i am having a ton of problems finding info on something so simple as shade control. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chad

Your Control4 system is similar to mine. Researching a motorized shade solution is frustrating and time-wasting.

Shades require a team for correct results and minimal headaches. I used a designer/decorator, contractor, Control4 dealer and shade dealer to orchestrate the project. My decorator contacted the Somfy dealer. My advice: define the project and let them figure it out.

Shades have just been ordered after 7 months, several meetings and 2 shade dealers. I feel your frustration.

Somfy shades with a Zigbee/Control4 interface were ordered.

K

I am installing my first C4 system.

HC-800 controler

Sonos Audio Zoning

HVAC Control

LiftMaster MyQ Garage door control (looking at future integration to C4) (thats another topic. :/ )

I am struggling with shading options. I have reviewed most of these forums and am have not seen a really good answer as to what to go with.

Layout is as follows

7 blinds in 1 large (1 kitchen, 3 dining, 3 living)

1 in each kids bedroom

5 in master bed

My requirements are a wireless RF system (because of drapery)

integration to c4 system

possible height control based on heat and time of day. (this should be easily possible with c4 from what I understand)

I have looked at Lutron Serena blinds but am not able to fully see if they can easily be integrated. Unfortunately my dealer has only used a wired solution but since all my walls have been completed this is a bit of a difficult option.

I also looked at the Graber blinds using the Somfy control but I have read that the Lutron blinds are much quieter and not fully understanding how to integrate this either.

I myself am a industrial programmer and find the concepts of all this automation quite simple but i am having a ton of problems finding info on something so simple as shade control. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chad

Send me an email and I will send you the contact information of my blind guy. He works all mine very well. You probably won't use him, but he can tell you what is possible using SOMFY motors and shades. Very knowledgeable.

Bill

I feel your pain... I went through the same experience.

I wanted to add shades to 11 windows and ended up with the following equipment:

- Somfy Sonesse 30 RTS motors (x11)

- Somfy URTSI II 16 Channel Universal RTS Interface (x1) - connected with the adapter below to the serial port of the HC300.

- Somfy DB9 to RJ45 RS232 Adapter (x1)

- Somfy Telis Pure RTS remote control (x1) - needed for initial programming of the motors (and handy to have lying around just in case your C4 system goes offline)

- Altech 24VDC Power Supply (x2)

And then you'll need your dealer to add the Somfy URTSI II to your project. The set-up works well. Only a couple of points to note: there's no two-way feedback and you'll end up with 3 programmable shade positions (open, closed and favorite) in C4 programming. (You can still manually stop or move shades to any position).

Hope that helps.

Archived