C4 Forums | Control4

denon receiver with 2 or 3 zones multisource and multiroom

hi , is there anybody who both a denon receiver with the capacity 2/3 multizones, my dealer is telling me that sometimes the zone 2 is a mess with control4 so if you have one and work perfect just le met know it will be appreciate. Waiting to buy a new receiver.

i was looking for a cheaper receiver like 3-400 $ its only for the multizone and 3 or 5 speaker and not for my home theater too. Do you think if i go on the c4 website ( partner driver ) i can trust the result ? some receiver is mark as certified and some only ip or ir . which one will be the best you think ?

One of my systems has three Onkyo Receivers, two controlled via IP and one via RS232. They have been flawless and have heavy use.

when you say controlled with ip you mean buy the cat5 ethernet ??? sorry but im still a newbee in this world ;) . first i was looking for a receiver who got rs-232 but its only available on costly receiver.

there are pro's and con's to using zone 2, 3 etc. on a receiver vs. an external amp, such as a C4 4 zone or 8 zone amp. A couple of pro's to using the C4 amp over a receiver is the ability to fine tune the speakers and to get two way volume feedback.

Also some receivers will work better than others in regaurds to multi-zone control.

So i better wait to buy a c4 amp with 4 zones used for like 400$ than buy a receiver that maybe will not work perfecly . Change the setting for the speaker is not really important for me i just want that when i want to listen music it will work as he should.

Using multi-zone receivers is ~sort of~ outside of the parameters of how receiver drivers are intended to work in C4. While many now work fairly well (especially Onkyo and Pioneers that I know of) that are less than an arm and a leg in cost, I wouldn't recommend it in the first place, especially if you're not "handy" and well informed in this sort of stuff.

Also keep in mind many receivers - especially the "cheaper" ones - won't feed digital audio (HDMI, optical and coax) to second and third zones so this becomes a mess in wiring and potentially programming.

It can work - but there are a good many reasons not many dealers will spec something like that, and no one of them isn't because we make more money selling you a C4 Amp.

yes probaly , my dealer told me about the sonos connect amp 120 and he told me thats those product was easy to configure and to control with c4 but ... its like 599 $ per pair of speaker so...

Using multi-zone receivers is ~sort of~ outside of the parameters of how receiver drivers are intended to work in C4. While many now work fairly well (especially Onkyo and Pioneers that I know of) that are less than an arm and a leg in cost, I wouldn't recommend it in the first place, especially if you're not "handy" and well informed in this sort of stuff.

Also keep in mind many receivers - especially the "cheaper" ones - won't feed digital audio (HDMI, optical and coax) to second and third zones so this becomes a mess in wiring and potentially programming.

It can work - but there are a good many reasons not many dealers will spec something like that, and no one of them isn't because we make more money selling you a C4 Amp.

Is this set-up simply for multi-zone audio and nothing else?

If so get the C4 4 zone amp and a Sonos Connect, the non-amp version, and the EV driver.

If you have a receiver in one of the rooms already that you want to use or need to use to drive your speakers then go with a C4 Matrix Switcher and for the other rooms get an amp like the multizone offered from Snap. This is how we run one of our set-up's and again it offers a great deal of flexability.

Its simply for the multizone audio and nothing else . I want to plug a nas so i will be able to listen my music , the told me that with the sonos we can have the internet radio too so great deal for me . Maybe i will buy only a 2 zone receive for cheap and see in the futur what i want to do esle

Is this set-up simply for multi-zone audio and nothing else?

If so get the C4 4 zone amp and a Sonos Connect, the non-amp version, and the EV driver.

If you have a receiver in one of the rooms already that you want to use or need to use to drive your speakers then go with a C4 Matrix Switcher and for the other rooms get an amp like the multizone offered from Snap. This is how we run one of our set-up's and again it offers a great deal of flexability.

• 1 month later...

I have a situation where I want to drive two surround zones temporarily with a Pioneer receiver (IR control only current option). I don't want to buy another AVR until the 4k-compatible ones mature. From this thread it sounds like this is possible, even though my dealer talked me out of it. I don't care if it is a complete mirror of zone 1 on zone 2. I just want to be able to easily have either zone on or both. It's a matter of speakers in the one room not being hooked to anything right now.

So what kind of programming is going to be involved to trigger the proper ir commands? If it is too comple I won't bother.

Archived