C4 Forums | Control4

HC300 - Faulty hardware?

Haven't been on in a while, but have an odd question for the gruop:

In the past year or so, my HC300 would drop off line. Unplugging and waiting would generally rectify the issue. It'd happen once, then be good for a couple months, happen again, be fine, etc. About 6mo ago, it dropped off and I couldn't get it back online. I brought it in to my dealer, who was a friend, and they upgraded the firmware on it (upgraded to 1.7.4 I believe). I brought it back home, still no dice with it controlling my project, however I COULD see it on the network via Composer.

I thought perhaps my ComposerHE wasn't working, so I upgraded to the latest version. Still doesn't work. In the meantime, my contact at my dealer left for a new job.

Up to present time. . . I'll be moving out of my house in October - into a house my wife and I are having built. In the meantime, I've been getting nagged to get the C4 up and running (it only controls our TV and lights in our basement). I contacted a new dealer baed on the recommendation of my builder. He was generous enough to come over and check out my system for me.

Turns out, there is no project on it. I have a back-up of my project, so i gave it to him and he attempted to load it on. Everything looks like it is working, the connection to the director drops off and restarts after the 'loading project' dialogue box shows completion. When we looked at the director though, no project showed up. We tried three more times, nothing. Everything else with the box looks correct per his assessment.

The dealer had never seen something like this happen; where it goes through the install stage and appears to install, however no project ends up being loaded in the end. His thought was that I may have faulty flash memory in the box that isn't holding any data anymore. Deterioration over time may have been causnig the drop offs in the past, and it finally just took a dump.

Any one here have any possible solutions - besides a new box? I'll end up with a 250 or 800 at the new house, but in the meantime my wife would really like to use the TV in the basement without having to use 4 different remotes and pointing them all backward from where we sit!

For reference: project is small consisting of receiver, PS3, cable box, tv, 8 dimmers and one 6 button keypad.

Thanks guys! I'm bracing for the worst. . . . that I'm SOL with this box. After some research, it seems like this may not be all that uncommon with the 300 series controllers. Now I just need to decide if I should bite the bullet on a 250 or an 800!

Archived