C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless IR Blaster

tazplex

I have some IR home theatre curtains that I am looking to integrate with my system. I'd prefer not to run a wired IR bud from the HC-300 to the curtain if at all possible. Can anyone recommend a good long range (8-10ft) blaster that I can place discretely in my av equipment rack and run back to the HC-300 from there?

Using the integrated blaster on the front of HC-300 itself also isn't an option - it's located in a closet and won't have line of sight.

Thanks

I'd suggest using the Card Access Z2IR - a zigbee based remote ir emitter device.

I thought about these, but don't I need to run USB 5v to power it? Looking to avoid a wire if at all possible, as the IR sensor is at the top of the curtain rod.

It comes with an adapter, yes - but I would assume there's power there somewhere as they're motorized blinds.

No, actually, battery powered. That's why I'm looking at a long range blaster and trying to eliminate wires alltogether. Thanks.

The nice thing about IR is line of sight is needed, but could put the IR blaster on the other side of the room if it would work...

Thats exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

Yes, I have power within range, but is the CardAccess Z2IR actually a wireless blaster? My understanding was I'd actually have to connect one of the wired IR buds that came with my HC-300 to the Z2IR and then it gets the signal to send to the wired IR bud (albeit wired to the Z2IR) over zigbee?

I can connect whatever device, Z2IR or otherwise, to my HC-300 and put it within 8 feet line of sight of the IR receiver on the curtain rod, but don't wish to run a wired IR bug to the curtain receiver at all - looking to make that last step wireless via a blaster.

Cheers

On the few occasions I've used one, I've used Xantech's versions - they have both an in-wall and a tabletop version. They use a block where you can take an IR out from the 300 and plug it in direct using a "stereo to stereo" minijack.

Not sure wat they come in at at this point though - but they work well.

Didn't see it until now - I'd have to say I doubt it will work. It takes it's power from the 300, and C4's IR outputs are weak (for a reason). That's why you need to look at some form of powered blaster.

On top of that it's more an IR flooding device - meaning it is wide angle, not long range.

dogdvr - that piece wouldn't halp him much - it still needs power. Unless you mean to use it with the flooder he linked but then cost ends up that much higher.

Archived