C4 Forums | Control4

Rgb led strip and lutron switch or dimmer

Is it possible to control any rgb led strip with a switch?

Anyone knows if its possible to use a lutron switch or dimmer to programm it just to turn on or off trought ir control?

Ex:

Led strip ----> led controller---> power source--> lutron dimmer

Or

Led strip--->led controller--->ir emitter---> hc800 --->lutron dinmer

Anyone knows

Any switch (not dimmer as such) can technically control the powersupply for any low voltage light, so basically yes.

That said, a setup using a controller's relay opening and closing the 12v circuit might work better - and there's a driver that makes that relay show up under lighting. It also saves you a switch of any kind.

LED strip --led controllers --led controller/strip powersupply (this may be one supply or may have a seperate supply for lights and controller - you'll want to turn off the lights of course) --hc800 relay

Driver is the Card Acces HDPC light driver (works for any relay)

Any low voltage 2 conducor should do, standard security wire, Cat5/Cat3, speaker etc.

Do keep an eye out on how much current runs through it all - voltage is low but the amps can rack up fast on led strips. This both for the wire's rating and the controllers relay.

You need to look at the extra vegetables DMX lighting solution, this will allow you to IP control a DMX system, which can include DMX to RGB lighting, the relay method is either off or on, this if full dimming and color mixing. This is what I am doing with my Theater room.

Adam

This can get expensive; you would need a DMX system is that not correct?

Luis how is the LED/RGB controller interfaced with, is it controlled with a IR input? How about creating a IR driver to interface with the IR input?

• 1 month later...

I just Installed RGB LED in my theater. I ran an audio extender cable the 70' to the RGB IR controller and then hooked up an IR emitter to the radio cable. Connected the IR emitter to the IR receiver in the control box so now I have control via IR. Then I just used a driver that Has IR control to control the lights. I also have a set of RGB's hooked up to a music control box so the lights will change color with the music and to the beat. You can turn them on, off, and dim and bright etc. Its been a long 3 month project remodeling the room but its bad ass now.

Cheers!

Archived