C4 Forums | Control4

Will port forwarding still work inder 2.4?

For remote iphone, ipad, and pc access, the port is now 5021 to forward to your director.

Under 2.4, will this still work?

Under 2.3 the port was 5020 and worked great for all of my devices. Then my iphones/ipad all updated to the 2.4 app and the connection broke. I changed the forwarded port to 5021 and my connection is back.

I havent updated the system to 2.4 yet though. Will the port forwarding still work if your control4 system is running 2.4?

Thanks for the help.

Schrady

Port forwarding should still work. Although it would be best to buy a VPN router and go that route if you did not want to buy a 4sight subscription. I personally have both so far the VPN route for me seems to work faster when it comes to viewing security cams

As I answered in another post about this - yes it will still work for a system on 2.4. Should still work when the version hits 3.7.

What you're doing has very little to do with systems and system version (excepting the port nrs). This is al based on "faking" your device to be on th elocal network. As long as the app works over local networks, it'll work using this.

I 100% agree on port-forwarding - it's essentially a brach in your security, VPN is the better choice. But hey, to each his own.

Thanks. Knowing Control4 and being a software developer myself, I thought they may try and block VPN access and port forwarding access to sell 4sight.

I have some Logitech security cameras that when I RDP or VPN into the machine with the host software on it, they will not stream. I get a msg that "playback is disabled during remote connection" or something like that. I thought C4 might do the same.

I know we're faking the system to think we're local, but it is still possible to detect if they really wanted to.

1 more question (I'm a developer, not a dealer)

Do I need Composer pro 2.4 or will 2.3 still work after I upgrade? I thought I read in another post I needed Composer 2.4.

Thanks!

As I answered in another post about this - yes it will still work for a system on 2.4. Should still work when the version hits 3.7.

What you're doing has very little to do with systems and system version (excepting the port nrs). This is al based on "faking" your device to be on th elocal network. As long as the app works over local networks, it'll work using this.

I 100% agree on port-forwarding - it's essentially a brach in your security, VPN is the better choice. But hey, to each his own.

It's always possible - it is subsequently also possible to break that setection....

I doubt C4 will do so however - but in the end I certainly don't speak for control4.

As a non-dealer you shouldn't have ComposerPro at all ;)

That said, if you do not have 2.4 Composer, you will not be able to use new features related to 2.4 - such as Tune-In agent etc.

Yes, I know. VPN is always better. I do have an Asus RT N56U which has a nice VPN setup. I've just been lazy about setting it up and then setting all my devices to use it.

Re: Composer Pro

I'm a registered Control4 Developer and as a paying developer I get access to Composer Pro. All paid developers can get it. I've also been lazy about reading all the tutorials. The only thing I've really accomplished is modifying a XBMC driver to work over IP on my boxee box.

I will tell you that having Composer Pro has saved my dealer about 5 service calls. I would agree that if your dont know much about the system you shouldnt have it though. This is the second house we've built in the last 3 years, so this is my second Control4 system. (just moved in mid December) This one has twice the capabilities. I've had a controller go bad that I picked up from my dealer and installed myself when they didnt have time to come out. I've also had to fix some IP issues that weren't setup properly as static when they installed the system, so the drivers lost touch. Just little bugs that would require a service call that I've been able to iron out.

It's always possible - it is subsequently also possible to break that setection....

I doubt C4 will do so however - but in the end I certainly don't speak for control4.

As a non-dealer you shouldn't have ComposerPro at all ;)

That said, if you do not have 2.4 Composer, you will not be able to use new features related to 2.4 - such as Tune-In agent etc.

No worries..... I just did 2.4. Much faster and the tune in thing is pretty cool. I have a grace tuner that already plays these stations so wtf......

Port forwarding does still work

Up grade took and Hoyt to get all the zigbees and stuff. Maybe closer to two hours. She all works well now. Not a hitch going 2.3 to 2.4

Upgrade took an hour......... Never did get the completed email though..... Everything is on new firmware though, ' cept maybe my locks. I read somethig in the release notes about having to force them to update.

No worries..... I just did 2.4. Much faster and the tune in thing is pretty cool. I have a grace tuner that already plays these stations so wtf......

Port forwarding does still work

Up grade took and Hoyt to get all the zigbees and stuff. Maybe closer to two hours. She all works well now. Not a hitch going 2.3 to 2.4

Archived