C4 Forums | Control4

Made the switch to Crestron!

photo.jpg

Well not quite!

After seeing all of my touchscreen's slowly losing support (MTS, 10.5 in wall, 10.5 V2) and not being supported I have decided to not purchase any more C4 interfaces. It clearly, IMHO, makes more sense to buy 3rd party interfaces and docking solutions, as we know that MyHome will have to be supported.

I no longer have access to apps or the ability to use an intercom. Not a big loss considering how useless the apps are (sure might change my mind if there was spotify, pandora, or MOG, and I really don't care to pay $1500 for the privilege of using an intercom which is buggy at best!

I bought the Crestron dock off ebay for $150, and utilized an ipad that I rarely use. I'm using it in dedicated mode and must say that the screen is so much crisper than what I had previously.

Use a windows based TScreen (not basic RT) and keep Apps available.

But LOL

I believe C4 went above and beyond supporting the old interfaces you mentioned but I know what you mean - but try getting hardware support for previous model iPads and see how that goes.

You are hardly the only one thinking along theses lines, and I can't say I disagree with your "other" reasoning.

Use a windows based TScreen (not basic RT) and keep Apps available.

But LOL

I believe C4 went above and beyond supporting the old interfaces you mentioned but I know what you mean - but try getting hardware support for previous model iPads and see how that goes.

You are hardly the only one thinking along theses lines, and I can't say I disagree with your "other" reasoning.

Well I have a 10 inch hole in my wall with a power line routed to it. Guess what, C4 doesn't have any updated interfaces that I can stick in the same hole. Same thing goes for the MTS and 7". Sure I can buy a retrofit kit, but they make it a very ugly install for the most part. I understand EOL'ing equipment, but it sucks when you do that and then don't offer a suitable replacement.

At least with the dock (in wall or table top), I can buy a relatively cheap replacement from various sources. Actually, you can buy an ipad 1st gen for about $180!

True - but keep in mind that the connection for apple was changed as well - which is why your dock is cheap as new iPads will get the new connection.

Same goes for those that chose to go with an in-wall dock for iPads or even iPods.

And I expect that the price of these "legacy" products is likely to go up as they get scarce and possible demand goes up.

Again, I don't really disagree at all with you. But it's not C4 doing it - it's basically every manufacturer.

Archived