C4 Forums | Control4

Scanning media in NAS

I've successfully created a Network File Storage device in Composer, connected to the network share folder where my music is stored (on a Vista workstation), and status is showing "online". All seems good. However, when I try to scan the folder it does nothing and if I try to add it by navigating to the share, I get the following error, "Could not find a part of the path '\\[LAN IP of HC300]\media'"

What am I doing wrong?

i would set up your nas on a static ip. this insures it stays in one place if you power down your router and dhcp hands out ips differently.

try turning off windows firewall and make sure your nas is on the same workgroup/domain, subnet and all that jazz.

other than that should work. If you are using vista, it has issues with viewing nas shares right now. (on buffalo drives at least) to view them use the guest login/pass.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The share is physically on my Vista workstation. I've shared my music folder on the network and given Composer the full network path. It can successfully connect to that share, but it can't add music. Do I need a physically separate NAS? Is there no way to share files this way?

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting a 320 GB Buffalo drive. I can now scan music in, but it will only pull it into Composer if there is no subfolder. In other words,

\\{NAS}\{share}\Dire Straits

will pick up any .MP3's in that directory, but any songs in:

\\{NAS}\{share}\Dire Straits\Brothers in Arms

Will not show up.

How do you tell the HTC to look into subfolders? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Another related question: what is the best way to tag your music? I get everything coming in without an artist even though my tags are very clean.

I have to say, the media management in C4 is collossally bad.

That did help, thanks. But I'm still missing the piece of info that tells me what exactly C4 is using to detect "Artist" "Album" and "Title". It is most certainly not the ID3 tag (which is ridiculous). My tags are impeccable, yet when I scan media, "Artist" shows up as "unknown", and the Artist appears under "Album". What is it reading? The file name? (and file structure)? I want to know what to change in order for it to scan my media properly. I'm not about to go and retag 10,000 Mp3's.

After messing with this more I'll shorten my question to: "how do I get c4 to recognize the Artist properly"?

Artist is set correctly in the ID3 tag, and my folders are organized as follows:

[Artist (folder)] / [Album (sub-folder)] / [song_name.mp3]

I've tried a bunch of different combinations but can't for the life of me get it to read the tags or filename in a way that populates things properly. What is the ideal format?

Thanks Shawn. I tried it with that key in the .config file, but that doesn't work either. All I get is multiple entries for each folder with the Artist still blank.

For example, if an album folder has 3 songs in it I will get the following:

Album Artist Tracks

[Album Name] Unknown Artist 1

What am I doing wrong?

Double check your ID3 tags - as I've done this on countless attemps and it's always worked flawlessly. We usually do this after we get music back from Riptopia - so that it won't go out and try and re-create the tags / clip art. Remember there are TWO fields for Artist. There is ARTISTS and ALBUM ARTIST. Control4 looks at the ALBUM ARTIST field and ignores the first field.

Thanks Shawn. I checked all my tags and all of them have "Album Artist" properly populated. Does the file structure have any bearing on it, or is it only reading the tags? I'm usually pretty quick with stuff like this, but this one has me stumped.

I have experienced similar problems when scanning mp3s using Vista. I have determined the issue to be Vista related as when I scan my NAS using my XP machine it works fine. My Vista machine is running the identical version of Composer (1.3.218).

My workaround is to only scan media using my XP machine (not ideal).

Doug

I was going to suggest that - sorry - I only read the forums once a day! :) It still came back down to the ID3 tags not being correct - so I was going to suggest using something else (like Thomas's suggesting for Media Monkey). BUT - I'm glad you figured it out! :)

Actually, I think I jumped the gun in declaring success. It seems I'm snake-bitten with this bloody thing.

When I try to play songs in C4 they just disappear from the queue one-by-one. Artist, Album, Album Art, and Song name are all correct, but genre is missing and I think the location reference in the file must be wrong. I posted the question on Thomas' blog so hopefully he responds soon.

But it still bugs me that I'm unable to pull it in by using a scan. What did you mean by ID3 tags not being correct? Every MP3 tagging program I pull them into has no problem reading them. Any ideas on why C4 won't?

NOW - you may have a problem in the database... you may have to delete the file (losing all data in your media - not just music) and re-scan / re-create it. See what Thomas says in his blog first before I give you the "how to" to delete it. As for tags... I'm not an expert - but I know there was a problem with some version of Media Monkey (for example) not correctly working with Control4 - and it had something to do with the way the tag was put in. So no - not all tags are equal... :) I just use windows right click to edit... or in batch do it in MEDIA PLAYER - and I've never had a problem yet (large jobs, we usually send out to Riptopia - so the tags are always correct when they return). Smaller jobs - we just make sure we have the correct tags in the program before we rip (Exact Audio Copy in case you were thinking to ask what we use to rip with).

• 3 months later...

hey strange_brew -

I'm having the same problems you had. I've got a WD external USB drive. When I connect it directly to the HC300 I am able to scan all the MP3's but when I go to play them they disappear from the queue one by one.

If I attach it directly to my router (Apple AirPort) via the USB port and use it as a NAS I can set up the connection in Composer and it shows as being connected but when I go to scan in Media if finds 0 files.

So what is the solution? Do i have to use Media Monkey and the plug-in?

This is only a recent problem. In the past all digital audio was working fine. I did change routers and went from static to dynamic IP's in order to fix a problem with the system randomly rebooting. Don't know if the system changes are related.

I've tried everything I can think of and it is driving me nuts! Any help is appreciated.

Archived