C4 Forums | Control4

New Problems

I have a C4 technician coming out tomorrow afternoon to look at some issues - any thoughts?

Just recently - a week or so ago, my upstairs rooms (Bedroom and Bathroom) started acting up. If I try and select - Single DVD, Cameras, or Sony 777s, the system will not change the input correctly on the TV. This morning I woke up and tried to trun on a DVR in the bedroom - the sound come out in the bedroom, but the bathroom TV came on?

I have done nothing to the system - all work done 6 months ago by C4 during installations - does this type of stuff just happen sometimes? Does not make any sense to me?

I will have to check on the version, but it was updated around September of this year. No - I have not done anything to the software or system (wish I could!). I have reset the system a few times since the issue started, but that did not help. I have learned over the years to reboot before calling for assistance - Microsoft is an amazing company :)

I will, he/she will be here in 4 hours, but I think I know at least part of the issue? I changed from DSL to a Business Cable Internet Option to get a static IP. The installer installed their modem and router. Of course, this is completely seperate from the C4 hardware, but would it affect the communication between C4 devices? I have 5 controllers and 4 touchscreens and I noticed this morning that the Master Bedroom touchscreen will not log into the network.

Your thoughts?

The technician is here now - replacing one of my dead remotes - blank screen on it. He also noticed that some of my components did not have the same firmware, so he is updating all the components. Two of the controllers were not communicating to the Director so hopefully the firmware and a hard reset of the router will fix the problem.

btw - my installers are great!!! When people have problems, my guess is that 90% of the issues are bad installers. If you find a great one - stick with them!

They just left - gave me a new remote control. In the end, the problem was the switch for all the components. As he was updating the software, the switch shut-down, he unplugged it and plugged it back in - it work well for another 30 minutes then shutdown again. They replaced the switch and all is well.

They just left - gave me a new remote control. In the end, the problem was the switch for all the components. As he was updating the software, the switch shut-down, he unplugged it and plugged it back in - it work well for another 30 minutes then shutdown again. They replaced the switch and all is well.

I'm guessing you mean the network switch? If so, what was there and what did they replace it with?

Thanks for letting us know. It seems that 80% of the problems people have with their systems comes down to the switch.

C4 REALLY should either:

A. Produce their own switch (rebranded or from scratch)

B. Issue a list of recommended switches that installers should use for their C4 installs

It really behooves them to do this because when people have trouble with their C4 systems because of a bad network switch, they blame it on the system (C4).

Thanks for letting us know. It seems that 80% of the problems people have with their systems comes down to the switch.

C4 REALLY should either:

A. Produce their own switch (rebranded or from scratch)

B. Issue a list of recommended switches that installers should use for their C4 installs

It really behooves them to do this because when people have trouble with their C4 systems because of a bad network switch, they blame it on the system (C4).

Too bad that C$ does recommend netgear switches to their dealers (of course most are not a problem except for the 24 port poe switch).

Archived