C4 Forums | Control4

Help me program my Kwikset lock

I want my lock programmed so that it will lock itself 5 mins after being unlocked.

I created a timer and set it for 5 mins. I then went to programming and did the following in a variable:

IF lock state unlocked is false

Start timer

Under the timer i programmed the following:

When timer expires, set lock Lock to true.

I know something is missing but have no idea what to do. Any help?

Using Pro, you can actually set the auto-lock time so that is one option.

Beyond that, assuming the the IF statement is under the right event, use the COMMAND "lock" at the timer instead of changing the variable.

Also, better to use RESET timer vs START - these are rather misnamed.

RESET sets timer to 0 and starts the timer

START resumes the timer from it's last STOP point

STOP "pauses" the timer and remembers where it was.

i always use the START TIMER, when starting a countdown.........and use the RESET TIMER, if i want it to start the countdown over from the beginning..if thats what im trying to do....pretty self explanatory to me........

in this case I would set the variable to true....when unlocked

set it to false when locked.

then i would just program the timer to start when unlocked...........then when the timer expires lock it

no need to get variables invloved to make this work.......but doesnt hurt to have them either, incase u have some other programming invloved based on the locks state

there is also an auto relock feature in the yale app settings

i always use the START TIMER, when starting a countdown.........and use the RESET TIMER, if i want it to start the countdown over from the beginning..if thats what im trying to do....pretty self explanatory to me........

Except that's NOT how it works. Or at least you're doing it double as the reset ALSO starts the timer.

Start is more a resume. Stop is more a pause.

i always use the START TIMER' date=' when starting a countdown.........and use the RESET TIMER, if i want it to start the countdown over from the beginning..if thats what im trying to do....pretty self explanatory to me........[/quote']

Except that's NOT how it works. Or at least you're doing it double as the reset ALSO starts the timer.

Start is more a resume. Stop is more a pause.

i dont see where im doubling anything??

i unlock a door....i start the timer......it expires.......the door locks

unlike a motion detector....where i would also start the timer......and if motion was sensed again....then i would reset the timer, to start over.....at some point the timer will expire and execute the light off or whatever i wanted to happen

cant say i have a need for STOP timer as of yet.....but i def wouldnt try to resume the timer by using a RESET..

but since my programming works.....i dont see anything wrong with using START to actually start the timer....nor do i see anything wrong with using RESET to start the timer.....but to say its wrong to use start timer to start a countdown and have something happen on expires is inaccurate. nor is anything being doubled.

This is just the way i like to do it...and if others want to do it another way..........who cares

START then RESET as per your post is starting the timer twice.

START command would be the wrong command to use as it will actually RESUME the timer where-ever it was STOPPED last.

ie: if, for what ever reason, that 5 minute timer was stopped after 4 minutes, START would continue that timer for 1 minute, at which point it expires and triggers the programming.

While the impact in this scenario is perhaps limited as there are to be no STOP commands, I hope you can see where it can certainly cause issues.

It's a matter of using the proper command.

If this seems confusing, well that's why I said the commands are a bit mis-named.

Again:

START timer command actually resumes the timer where ever it may be at --- this will NOT start the timer from 0 unless it already IS at 0.

STOP command pauses the timer where it's currently at --- so for a 5 minute timer, after 3 minutes it will pause at 3 minutes and STAY there.

RESET command sets the timer back to 0 AND it starts running the timer -- no need to do RESET and START or the other way around to set to 0 and start the timer running.

what i was saying was to use reset if i needed it to...IF i needed to start from 0

im well aware of how they work, i think perhaps u misunderstood my 1st post.......i wasnt saying start then reset

but im sure this was helpful for others

Archived