C4 Forums | Control4

Touchscreens Going Off-line/losing power

Hi. I've posted on this issue previously, but I wanted to add a new post to take a slightly different angle and see if anyone has a thought.

My problems started more than a year ago when one of my older version TS stopped working (I'll call that A). I thought it had died and had planned to update all the TS to the current models in order to gain the intercom functionality. In November 2012 we upgraded the TS, new controller, upgraded to the current software etc. Almost immediately (within days) A "lost power" again and was not available. If we pulled the panel and rebooted it would instantly come back on line and work. For a few hours or days. Varied. In addition to A, we would also lose power at location B and periodically location C. Locations D, E, F & G have all worked flawlessly during this same period and have NEVER lost power or dropped off the system.

Since November we have:

1) Checked the power on the lines to locations A & B. No issue.

2) Replaced the back boxes

3) Moved the TS to other locations (where they worked fine)

4) Moved the TS to the dealer's location (where they worked fine)

5) Replaced the router (from Verizon FIOS Actiontec) based upon recommendation from C4. No change.

6) Upgraded to the latest version of the of the OS (again) No change.

We are now going to replace the two TS, but neither I nor my dealer think that is actually going to solve the issue.

Is it possible that the programming/configuration is bad? Driver issue within the software/system configuration?? My thinking is that we might need to remove these two locations from the project and then add them back.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I really do not believe it is a hardware issue. It has to be something else.

Driver issue - no

Configuration - how is it identified? if it was done using IP that could be a problem

What are you seeing when they "lose power" Is there any text, is it a black screen but is there still pack lighting?

My first thought would be however whatever is powering or networking the screens in question - is it line voltage or PoE?. If it's PoE it could be that the PoE switch providing power isn't able to maintain enough power on the lines.

Networking wise, is it hardwired if it's line-voltage, because while that shouldn't be an issue that sometimes has acted weird for me. If it's wireless have the signal strength and interference checked.

One thing I would suggest is turning OFF the screensaver and see if that changes anything. If it still freezes up but now you get something other than just a blank screen, it's probably a communication issue - be it WiFi, a network switch issue or the unit being identified using an IP address vs a UUID.

Thanks for the reply.

The screens go totally dead - no light, no response when you touch. Totally lifeless as if you just opened the box.

All units are hardwired to a switch and are powered by PoE. What I did not mention is that we have moved the Cat5 wires to different PoE ports on the switch, taken other PoE items off the switch so it is only those two TS on are the switch and they still go down.

The switch is a CISCO 48 Port with 24 port PoE with only 11 PoE ports in use. They still dropped with only two PoE ports in use, so I am not inclined to believe the PoE is dropping power. All TS have static IP address. Again, never an issue with any other location. Only these two locations.

11 ports out of 24 means little depending on how much those ports pull - but just doing the 2 should be fine for sure, so that can be ruled out.

I think you mentioned moving screens around and this issue remains with the location not the screen, which would rule out ip configuration as well as hardware issues as far as the screens go.

Did you try deleting the tscreen driver all together and adding a new one and ID?

Did you try removing one from programming and adding one to a different ROOM and ID the unit in there?

Cyknight -

Thanks for the time and suggestions. I think the ideas you propose are probably the two we will try next. My installer was just at the house on Saturday and we kicked around the configuration delete/adds as a next step. Wanted to put the issue out there to see if anyone else had ever experienced a similar issue.

Agree on the number of ports we have looked at the power draw when everything was plugged in and humming and we were well below the upper limits so I really don't think it is a PoE issue. I could be wrong, but like I said we pulled everything off except those two TS and they still went dark which took me back to it must be something in the C4 OS config.

Archived