C4 Forums | Control4

Dual 8" subwoofer

dbuono

I have a low profile cabinet space being built in a basement finish out (opening is 12" H x 28" W). So, I am trying to locate a small dual 8" sub to utilize the space and get some low end for music and movies. The space will be finished off with a fabric cover, so no need to worry about the subs aesthetics. Any thoughts or suggestions from anyone would be great.

Thanks

One word, Triad.

This is what they specialize in, custom built/sized speakers. Though they don't have a dual so if you must have a dual you'll have to take what you can get.

Depending on budget Snap AV has a relatively inexpensive dual in wall sub but your 12" dimension is about an inch to small to fit it. Which brings us back to Triad.

Another word, Definitive. ;)

This is what they specialize in, small format speakers/subs.

The SuperCube 2000 is 7.5" woofer and well under 12", the 4000 and up are 8" and under 12" with the feet removed.

These are surprisingly powerful, but if you feel the need, two of them will fit in there. required depth is 12" (I believe you never mentioned they were in wall, but in a cabinet correct?

Hope you're wallet's full enough though.

If the intention IS in-wall though, then I'd have to agree Triad may be your only real option - In-walls normally are built for standard stud-space so finding anything "off the shelf" will be very difficult.

Another word, Definitive. ;)

(I believe you never mentioned they were in wall, but in a cabinet correct?

Hope you're wallet's full enough though.

If the intention IS in-wall though, then I'd have to agree Triad may be your only real option - In-walls normally are built for standard stud-space so finding anything "off the shelf" will be very difficult.

Triad makes in room, in wall, on wall, in ceiling speakers and can custom fit nearly any of their selection. So when someone mentions Triad it may not be in reference to in-wall speakers. In fact have you listened to their platinum's and did you stop by the DataSat Demo? Holy CRAP! Yeah I want that combo in my theater if I can convince the wife to let me spend the money.

Anyway, the Definitive and James stuff are all good, though I'll take American Made (Triad and James) over foreign stuff any day. Biggest suggestion is to make sure you have plenty of room for the plate amp to be cooled and be ready to battle some rattles for awhile. Eventually you'll stop all the rattles but the ventilation is important for ever.

Archived