C4 Forums | Control4

Weak router? Can I just replace?

All,

I have about a 5 year old Linksys router down in the basement and the signal strength is very weak in areas of the house. As a non computer type person, I'm wondering if I can just replace it with another and will the system just "link up" or use it seamlessly. My tech suggested getting the same brand with the same DHCP settings and (obviously) replace exactly all the lines going into the current router. What about Apple routers? Heard they are really good. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

It will depend on how big is your project in physical sense. How many wifi connections you typically have and how far does it have to reach. Ive been using Apple Extreme myself. Works well with a three storey 5k sq ft house.

Placement is also key basement might not be ideal. try moving different floors if possible

Thanks. The control4 system is just 4 home theater controllers and music and 3 dvr's. Wifi is for about 4 devices. House is 2 story with basement, 3500 sq ft. Router has to go in basement where all the Control4 connections(hardware) is. I'm wondering about just replacing it myself and replicating all the wires into the router.

Thanks

You can, but as your dealer mentioned and was said here you'll need to make sure that the setup is similar/identical so the system's network settings aren't messed up (all depends on how it was done to begin with).

Another option is instead of replacing the router, adding a wireless access point to it (NOT an extender!) - possible using an unused network connection elsewhere in the home if a more central location or one closer to the dead area is available.

That way you don't have to worry about network settings, plus if that network location is available it'll be all the better.

Usually cheaper too.

I agree with Cyknight - add a WAP or several WAPs. I have a router in my basement where all of my household ethernet wiring terminates (along with a switch, etc, etc). But I have put three other routers configured as WAPs in different parts of my house. The issue is that ideally you should have ethernet wiring to other spots in your house where you will put the WAPs. You don't mention this - is your house wired for computer networking at all? It is normally very easy to configure a router to act as a WAP as with some routers you just click a button on the config page or on some you can just turn off DHCP.

A true WAP is usually cheaper than using a (decent) router - and often better coverage and more stable. Local availability may vary however, often only more 'specialized' computer stores carry them, I know here Staples or BB sure don't. Can't recommend using a router for WAP, but it can (be made to) work.

If you don't have networking across the house - I'd strongly recommend a WAP over any router as you can get higher gain ones that will beat any router (and still pay no more than you would for a good ASUS or Apple router).

Few examples of well priced Access points with good strength: Asus EA-N66 (can be had for around 100), Engenius ECB350 (bit more expensive at 125-150 but tends to 'penetrate' better), Netgear WN802T (around 125 - would consider this the least of these three but Netgear is more widely available).

Mind you, these are examples of good price AP that I've used and have been trouble free for me using C4 devices as well as iOS devices for smaller set-ups - I'm not saying these are the end-all of WAPs.

All,

I have about a 5 year old Linksys router down in the basement and the signal strength is very weak in areas of the house. As a non computer type person, I'm wondering if I can just replace it with another and will the system just "link up" or use it seamlessly. My tech suggested getting the same brand with the same DHCP settings and (obviously) replace exactly all the lines going into the current router. What about Apple routers? Heard they are really good. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Asus RT-N66U or Asus RT-AC66U both work great and are used by many users and dealers. No reason to blow your brains out on a mega expensive router with WAP's for 99% of owners. The newer Routers have much better signal strength so you should be fine. If not you can increase your routers signal strength by using Merlin's Asuswrt firmware.

You really shouldn't have anything plugged into your router except for your internet connection and a line to your switch. If you do its ok but not the best for performance. Log into your router and print the configurations on each page in case your dealer made any IP assignments so you can replicate them. If you have no idea what I just said please call your dealer or if you want to learn something try doing it yourself. You can always plug the old one back in while you figure it out :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I called my dealer/installer and left it to him! He chose an Apple router and a Western Digital network hard drive(to back up my HC1000 music). It also allows me to access all my music thru an app on my phone. Apple router is down in the basement but is strong enough that I didn't need a WAP. All good.

Archived