C4 Forums | Control4

EV Sonos Driver Joining Zones Programatically

jdvachal

Does anyone know if it's possible to join sonos zones programatically instead of manually navigating the zones page?

I can manually join them via the zones page but when I try to add a room to an existing session via digital media it's not joining.

The EV driver is very quirky and it has taken my dealer almost a year to get the setting right. I have 2 sonos players and integrating them has been a bear. Having said that they need to follow the directions of installing the driver to the T. Once that is done then you will be able to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe I've followed the setup instructions, and it all works just like in EV's SONOS Zone setup video when I join rooms to or remove rooms from zones using a C4 controller or MyHomePC.

What I'm trying to achieve is joining zones together via a C4 macro. That's the part I'm having trouble finding a way to do.

What I'm actually trying to do is create a macro that looks at all the SONOS players, comparing their PLAY_STATUS, Sonos_Source and TITLE variables then joining together into one SONOS and C4 zone all players that are playing the same source. This is necessary to avoid audio sync problems between rooms when SONOS players in adjacent rooms are playing the same Internet radio station.

One of the icons that you hide is called "sonos tuner."  You can find it under the navigator settings for each room under "listen." The driver instructions ask you to hide it but you could unhide it so it shows up in navigator. I was told by my dealer that if you touch that icon in navigator it add that zone to whatever is already playing in aonther zone. I never tried it but maybe that is what you are looking for?

One of the icons that you hide is called "sonos tuner."  You can find it under the navigator settings for each room under "listen." The driver instructions ask you to hide it but you could unhide it so it shows up in navigator. I was told by my dealer that if you touch that icon in navigator it add that zone to whatever is already playing in aonther zone. I never tried it but maybe that is what you are looking for?

Your dealer is unfortunately wrong in this respect.

The trouble is that there is no easy way to create and manage zone groups in C4 *at all* - there is no programmatic way to do the same things as "add zone" from the Navigators.

You can come close with Media Scenes, or you can statically say 'select Sonos X as audio device in room Y' but there isn't an easy way (without lots of programming steps as mt104 shows) that will achieve what you can do in one or two button presses in Navigator.

If I understand what you want to do, I think I accomplished what you are after with session sharing in a system with a dozen various Sonos rooms.  I believe you need the groupable driver.  The client wanted to be able to add a few preselected rooms to an existing sonos session with a touchpanel button that he could press on the way down the stairs, so the music would follow him through the house.

mt104's idea could work to get all of the rooms synced together that are playing the same content but seems complicated.

We have recently been unhiding and utilizing the Sonos Amplifier option.  This is the best way to interact with Sonos via Control4 on a very basic level, ie activate living room with sonos.

As an example we have been re-naming the Sonos Amplifier subitem to Sonos Living Room Amplifier.  Most of the time we have been hiding the root level Sonos from Navigators and only exposing the Sonos Amplifier.   

This type of customization is extremely helpful if you are using iOS, Android, PC or Mac control of Sonos vs C4.

Auto Room On and Off is also extremely helpful in tracking status in rooms.

Archived