C4 Forums | Control4

Bullfrog Spa - Balboa Wifi Driver Beta

Sorry folks.  Of course, I start work on it then get snowed under and work and no hobby time.  I did work on it a bit today but need to get back home (will be back on Friday 02/05) because I can't test to see if the damn thing works as it's time to power cycle the tub to get the wifi back.  Very frustrating.  I hope to have you at least something to test this weekend.  I know, you've heard that before :-)  But I am excited to see if these updates work and no plans so fingers crossed.

Good to hear from you, Eric.

I got my Balboa module connected and up and running in the cloud, waitin for ya.

Let me know If I can help, running HC800/2.80 for now I would upgrade if I have too.

Feel free to PM me yours is full

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Newly introduced user to the Balboa Wi-Fi module. Certainly displeased!

I read all your messages and have been experiencing the same issue. The module drops off from the internet sometimes after 3 days and other times after a day or two.

There is no consistency to this and I haven't been able to figure out what's going on. Is this a router related issue or something wrong with their Wi-Fi box? I have an ATT router from Pace Americas. Model number 3801HGV.  Can you guys please help? Much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, wondering if the driver is ready to go yet for control4? I don't want to sound bad or anything but anything deal with the wifi module probably should called the tech support Balboa. This should be control4 stuff not technical support on the module dropping connections. Mine does too and I have to shut tub off at the shut off switch and turn it back on.  I do not know how often it does that really. I just been dealing with it. All i am saying on here is that I think on here should be talking more about the driver then the hardware of the tub. That should be dealt with the technical support of the hardware. Thanks.

Laran,

Your right, my apologies. 

For what its worth....I have been in contact with Balboa Tech support.  They think that most of the "disconnect problems" are resolved.  If you see different please let them know or share your good luck with the rest of us (my request above).

As for the driver, I too would like to see any progress so far.  I can say that I have briefly discussed the wifi module protocol with Balboa.  It is the same protocol as used with the top display panels on the tubs (Balboa specific stuff...nothing that is terribly useful to DYI hack like myself).  Apologies again for somewhat hijacking this thread.     

• 4 months later...

Ericscales, I would also like the drivers send to me as well if possible, thanks. I am not sure if you still working on it or not but at least if you have a beta version of it, I would like to try it out if you don't mind.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, ccutrer said:

I would also be interested in the protocol/API information for integration into non-C4 systems (or even just an iPhone app that _doesn't_ ask me if I want to go to demo mode every time it starts).

I can also confirm what others have found - if WiFi drops, the hot tub needs restarted. This can also happen if _internet_ connectivity drops for a substantial period of time, even if the local network did not. As long as I have reliable network though, it's not a big deal. I'm probably at several weeks with no hiccups on mine.

@ccutrer and @Ericscales: Have you been able to find more details on the protocol/API for non-C4 systems? Is it possible to communicate with the Balboa wifi unit via http GET commands?

1 hour ago, jpt60 said:

@ccutrer and @Ericscales: Have you been able to find more details on the protocol/API for non-C4 systems? Is it possible to communicate with the Balboa wifi unit via http GET commands?

Nope, I haven't found more, but I haven't tried either. At this point it's pretty clear that the OP is AWOL. I have the skills to reverse engineer the protocol, it just hasn't been a priority yet. If I ever get around to it, I'll be sure to post the details here.

4 hours ago, ccutrer said:

Nope, I haven't found more, but I haven't tried either. At this point it's pretty clear that the OP is AWOL. I have the skills to reverse engineer the protocol, it just hasn't been a priority yet. If I ever get around to it, I'll be sure to post the details here.

That's okay, thanks. Forgive my ignorance, but I read between the lines that it is not a http protocol like those used by some heat pumps, right? What type of protocol does it use?

1 hour ago, jpt60 said:

That's okay, thanks. Forgive my ignorance, but I read between the lines that it is not a http protocol like those used by some heat pumps, right? What type of protocol does it use?

Dunno. Most the work is getting the packet capture to analyze (and possibly doing a MITM if they use SSL). Given that it can be accessed "via the cloud", I would guess that it's an outgoing HTTP long poll, but it could be anything. HTTP (without SSL) would certainly be easiest to reverse engineer.

3 hours ago, ccutrer said:

Dunno. Most the work is getting the packet capture to analyze (and possibly doing a MITM if they use SSL). Given that it can be accessed "via the cloud", I would guess that it's an outgoing HTTP long poll, but it could be anything. HTTP (without SSL) would certainly be easiest to reverse engineer.

I did the packet capture. Definitely not HTTP :(. Using port 4257. Note that the MAC address will start with 00:15 if you're trying to find it on your network. I'll post if I find out more after looking at this.

I'm keeping notes at https://gist.github.com/ccutrer/ba945ac2ff9508d9e151556b572f2503

Right now I'm working on deciphering status first, because now that I know the basic format I can connect to it with my computer and see what is returned. Later I'll do more packet captures of the app to decipher commands. If anyone else wants to help, I'd love confirmation that other spas act the same (particularly with message length, and what bytes 2-5 are).

2 hours ago, ccutrer said:

I'm keeping notes at https://gist.github.com/ccutrer/ba945ac2ff9508d9e151556b572f2503

Right now I'm working on deciphering status first, because now that I know the basic format I can connect to it with my computer and see what is returned. Later I'll do more packet captures of the app to decipher commands. If anyone else wants to help, I'd love confirmation that other spas act the same (particularly with message length, and what bytes 2-5 are).

Thanks ccutrer. I would love to help, but unfortunately I do not have the technical skills for that, and also, I don't own a Balboa unit. I am looking at buying a new spa, and this thread looked promising for integrating a Balboa unit with a non-C4 home automation system. Nevertheless, I will be following your findings with interest. Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Hey ccutrer!

Perfect work.. i used it from github and it works perfect. I have only one Problem.. i have 3 pumps in the pool and i can receive the Status of the 3. pump with your hints.. i can also switch on pump 1 or 2 but there is not the code for the 3. pump. it is the only Thing i am missing. do you see a chance to find that out? i tryed to see into the Protokoll too directly between the spa and cloud (fiddler) but with https etc. it seems that it is not working.. :-( Do you can help me please, would be very very nice..

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I'm interested in this driver also. I just bought a new Coast Spa hottub with the optional Balboa WIFI module.

Where can i find this driver or can i buy it somewhere?

Please let me know guys.

Thanks so far. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.