C4 Forums | Control4

4K Audio WTF

So I am not sure if anyone else has seen this issue but I am hoping someone has because this is driving us nuts! I have attached a pdf with the gear layout and model info.

Sony TV

Sony 4K Server

Yamaha Receiver

When trying to watch a 4K movie the audio wont work. The only way to get it to work is to power cycle the receiver and have it on the 4K audio selection when powered up. Otherwise no audio.

We have the 4K server HDMI1 going direct to the tv and HDMI2 going to the receiver. 

I also have a video (but the forum wont let me upload it. What that shows is the receiver where the HDMI light (showing HDMI connection) blinks for a couple seconds and at the same time the CABLE BOX goes through a handshake even thought Im on the HDMI for the 4K Server. 

My GUESS is some kind of EDID issue or overload or overloading the HDMI card in the receiver.

Note-This is the second receiver here for testing and we have another project with a Marantz doing the same thing. Neither project has an HDMI matrix involved, only receiver.

Um....HELP!

Issue.pdf

Do they both use the same cables?

Do you mean do HDMI 1 and 2 OUT of the 4K server have matching cables the answer is no. The video has to go over a balun (but the video works fine) to the tv and the audio goes direct to HDMI3 on the receiver.

And if you swap the cables HDMI1 and 2 swiche at the 4k server and the destinations?

SMH you mean to test the cables? We have swapped, tested and shortened all cables.

did you turn on the audio feature on the 4k server for HDMI out 2?

where is the 4k server in relation to the TV and the receiver? 

Is 4K server is plugged into HDMI 4 on the TV?  I would imagine it is - but just checking.

What BRAND are the cables?

What LENGTH are the cables?

Give ALL the info on the HDMI extender

What is the TV and receiver MODEL #?

Most of that was covered in the PDF that was attached to the first post....I will have to check the make of the cables and the extender tomorrow.

I would suggest you swap your cables to some HDMI 2.0 cables.  I know they shouldn't be needed but they will perform much better, and you could have issues with your cables.  They are fairly cheap depending where you buy them.  Also I have seen many extenders cause issues like what you are having happen here.

Hi,

I doubt this is a cable issue since the audio works when you reboot the receiver. When you reboot the receiver and the audio comes back does it drop off at any point? If not then it's not a cable issue.

With that said I have a few questions.

1. What type of audio are you trying to send to the receiver? Dolby® TrueHD 7.1, Dolby Digital Plus 7.1, Dolby Digital AC3 5.1, Dolby Digital EX 5.1, DTS-HD Master Audio™ 7.1, DTS-HD High Res 7.1, DTS 5.1, DTS-ES Matrix 5.1, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS 96/24 5.1, up to 8ch PCM?
  2. Is the receiver 4K compatible? If not the receiver is more then likely receiving the 4K video stream as well as the audio stream. If the receiver is not 4K compatible then the HDMI input on the receiver may just be dropping the source all together. When you reboot it, it picks up the audio channel, since the 4K server is already sending audio, and then sends it out as it should. This is an EDID issue. I have attached a sample of an EDID config. You may need to find software that lest you manually adjust the EDID tables so you do not have to reboot the receiver. The attached image is JUST an example of how I manually edit the EDID tables on a Kaleidescape player but the same goes for ANY source.
  3. Have you tried send everything, audio AND video, over 1 HDMI cable to the receiver, assuming the receiver is 4K compatible, and then sending the video out to the display? By using just one HDMI cable do you get audio? 

post-122676-0-00197700-1401475820_thumb.

Adamt,

We had the same video problem with a Sony receiver, it would sometimes show on the TV for a good long period but mostly flicker on screen for 3-5 time and then loose signal it is a handshaking problem.  Our work around was buying a ethereal Signal Conditioner ours is made by Metra (Link).  It has been in place for 5-6 weeks with no complaints by the customer.  As for Audio, if I remember right, one of the HDMI is to the receiver and the other to the display but I will have to revisit the manual of the 4K server to be sure. I'm sure that will eliminate your video problem, I will look at the audio when I can this weekend.

Best of Luck,

Dan

Simplicity1 Home Solutions 

Costa Mesa CA

Archived