C4 Forums | Control4

Carrier Infinity Thermostat

I need to replace my furnace and it looks like I will go with a Carrier.  Apparently the newer more sophisticated furnaces require a Carrier Infinity WiFi T-stat.  Does anyone know if this is actually true or I can use something else, like a Nest or C4 T-stat instead?  This part of my house used to have a C4 T-stat but I had tons of trouble with it so I replaced it with a fairly basic digital t-stat a couple of years ago.

I have an Infinity furnace/AC with the Infinity (non-WiFi) control. You can use a 3rd party thermostat with the Infinity line, but you'll lose some of the advanced capabilities of the overall system. The Infinity controller only uses 3 or 4 wires to connect to the furnace and talks its own special protocol. It can identify the Carrier equipment and run diagnostics etc.  If you have a humidifier, dehimidifier, or HRV/ERV, they connect to the furnace control board and the controller turns them on/off as necessary to maintain the desired temp+humidity comfort level.

The controller will also do things like run the fan once a day and check the static pressure of the system. If it sees the pressure rise above a certain point it will assume that your filter is dirty and prompt you to change it.

You could get some of the capabilities with a Nest/Ecobee/C4 T-stat, but you might need lots of extra wires for multi-stage heat/AC, humidifier, HRV.

There's an interface board from Carrier that installs at the furnace and provides 2-way communication with 3rd party automation systems. Unfortunately it's not easy to find and is rather expensive, but you'd get the best of both worlds that way: all of the smarts of the Infinity system handling the climate controls, with tie ins to the C4 system.

There's an interface board from Carrier that installs at the furnace and provides 2-way communication with 3rd party automation systems. Unfortunately it's not easy to find and is rather expensive, but you'd get the best of both worlds that way: all of the smarts of the Infinity system handling the climate controls, with tie ins to the C4 system.

You're talking about the SAM (system access module), right? I think Houselogix might carry that. 

Archived