C4 Forums | Control4

Forgot the Garage

And if you end up running wire there, run an extra pair to the garage door opener and connect it to a relay on your controller. Having the ability to have C4 buttons and programming open and close the garage door has been, much to my surprise, one of the highlights of our system.

--Jason

And if you end up running wire there, run an extra pair to the garage door opener and connect it to a relay on your controller. Having the ability to have C4 buttons and programming open and close the garage door has been, much to my surprise, one of the highlights of our system.

--Jason

So You just need a wire (Say Cat5) to where the Buttons for the opener are or is it necessary to run to where the motor for the opener is. Also how do you handle this functionality if you have a security system with Garage door contacts? If you opened the door while the sytem is armed then the alarm would go off-right?

I am wiring my house up in about 3 days and I am nervous as heck that I am going to miss something. This has been the most stressful thing as far as the new house is concerned to me...

And if you end up running wire there' date=' run an extra pair to the garage door opener and connect it to a relay on your controller. Having the ability to have C4 buttons and programming open and close the garage door has been, much to my surprise, one of the highlights of our system.

--Jason[/quote']

So You just need a wire (Say Cat5) to where the Buttons for the opener are or is it necessary to run to where the motor for the opener is. Also how do you handle this functionality if you have a security system with Garage door contacts? If you opened the door while the sytem is armed then the alarm would go off-right?

I am wiring my house up in about 3 days and I am nervous as heck that I am going to miss something. This has been the most stressful thing as far as the new house is concerned to me...

I used speaker wire, not sure if the load is too high to run over Cat5 but it's probably fine. The buttons (assuming they are wired) are just connected via speaker-type wire to the head unit (the motor) so running to a button will get you the same functionality as running to the head unit (at least the way ours works).

As far as the security system goes, it depends on how you have your system set up, but if the garage door is set to a no-delay zone, then yes opening it would trigger an alarm. If you come and go through your garage, then you'd of course want that as an entry-delay door, and probably a long delay considering that you'll want to be able to open the door, drive in, park, get you and your stuff out of the car and in the house to disarm.

I know how you feel about the wiring thing. If you think you're nervous now wait till the night before drywall goes up!! :-)

I have posted some extensive information on pre-wiring, and especially on using conduit in key locations in this thread:

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=1565

There's a number of good posts in there from a bunch of folks, I'd suggest perusing it before the big day, and post back if you have other questions.

Good luck!

--Jason

Archived