C4 Forums | Control4

How to disable C4 thermostat Runtime Maximum feature?

We just had air conditioning installed and that prompted me to look at the settings for my Control4 thermostats for the first time in years and I noticed that setting.  

Our heating is in-floor radiant and that system works best if it runs at a constant low level continuously, so I don't want the Control4 thermostat limiting how long it can run.   How do I disable that?

Running 1.8.2 and the thermostats have the slide switch for power stealing enable/disable and are 4-5 years old -- CCZ-T1-W.

Is there any way to know for certain if that's the answer?   I won't be able to try testing until winter (at least I prefer not to turn on heat for hours to see if it works).

A semi-related question:   I never used the schedule feature on any thermostats since radiant floor heat takes hours to adjust to a new temperature.   After looking into things, I notice that at least one thermostat refuses to ignore the schedule settings even though all are unchecked.

That is, if I turn off "Hold", it reverts in a couple of seconds to the 85-degree default setting for "Custom1" and "Custom2" schedule.   I have all the "Enable" boxes unchecked for all thermostats.   And at least one other behaves correctly.  I haven't checked my other three -- they are on "Permanent Hold" at the moment.   Is there something special I'm supposed to do to apply (or remove) the schedule from a thermostat.

I just noticed that the schedule for the one that works as I expect is not the default -- heat point is set to 65 and cooling to 90 but all days and times are unchecked.

I guess the workaround is to set the schedule to what I would typically want the temperature to be and not worry about it, but I'd prefer to know why it behaves this way and do it "right".

Update:   On one that seemed to be working as I expect, it had a non-default schedule.   I reset the schedule to "Default" and now it reverts to the schedule setting a second after turning off Hold, but to the setting for the current day/time, not "Custom1" like the other.   Is that a bug or something I don't understand?

Okay, on my last question, I've done more testing .... I would definitely call this a bug:   Having once set a schedule on a particular thermostat by checking the "Enable" box, you CANNOT remove the schedule merely by unchecking that box as seems logical to me.   You have to uncheck all the boxes, then reboot the thermostat by removing it from the wall and removing the battery.   Firmware is 03.02.37.

Once you do that, it behaves as I expect:   maintaining a manual set point without any "Hold" setting.

You can change a schedule with no problem but you cannot disable schedules completely without rebooting.

Still would like verification of how to disable Runtime Maximum, though.

Update:   It seems to disable the schedule if you use the less-than-obvious "Apply to" button in the upper right.   Simply clicking "Ok" in the schedule dialog doesn't modify the thermostat.   I suppose one could argue that approach is logical.   I would disagree -- if "Apply" needs to be separate from simply changing the settings, it ought to be part of that dialog as it is in most application.   Sticking it off in corner of the main window seems to be poor design.   And what would be the point of changing the schedule but then not applying it?  

Of course, this is 1.8.2, so never mind.

so i double checked the 255 entry for maximum run time.  it doesn't appear to disable that feature, although it does appear to be the maximum entry allowed.  Not sure you're going to be able to make your system run longer than that.  There is a field for stage minimum off time.  If you make that value small the system would come back on right away.  this is all advanced setting in the thermostat within composer pro, so you may need to get a dealer involved.

What happens if set to zero?  One possibility is that it never comes on.  The other is that could be the "disable' value.

I'm not sure there's a difference in what you can do on a thermostat with ComposerPro vs ComposerHe on 1.8.2 system.   And even though I've seen documentation that refers to the minimum runtime, there's not actually an option for that in the software

Attached is the ComposerHE screen.

post-125437-0-47962100-1403363583_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah noticed that.  Our resident IT expert still running 1.8...

EagleMoon is back!

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Hey, I'm flattered that you noticed.

I quit visiting for several reasons:   got the system working the way I wanted, learned enough to do all the "fancy" things I wanted, retired/moved on to more fun things, got tired of the endless and pointless arguments that had become so prevalent (seems like they are still common).

As for staying on 1.8.2, it does all I need and 98% of what I want.   Upgrading to get that 2% costs a bit of money and I'm not willing to invest any more money in the system until I'm allowed to make relatively simple changes myself.   ;) 

Yes, I remain in that camp, but I've no interest in starting that discussion here, I completely accept the Control4 decision.  I really like the Control4 system and what I can do with it.  However, the additional home we plan to build in Oregon next year won't have Control4 because of that, even though I'll definitely miss some of the capabilities.

Now, if there's a dealer out there who would make me an "employee" in order to sell me a new controller, licensing and some additional devices for here and possibly a system in a new house, we can talk.  :)

Wait... to clarify that "joke":  no, I'm not actually looking for a job nor an income nor the commitments that those things generally require.

• 8 months later...

I like you was satisfied with maybe 90% of what my system was doing but was having some SR250 woes.  I have to say the jump from 1.8.2 to 2.2.4 was fairly smooth (I have a big system) and Control4 has made MANY MANY excellent improvements from 1.8 to 2.2 so I definitely recommend making the change.  FWIW.

Archived