C4 Forums | Control4

I have Control 4 for distributed audio and video with video matrix with HDMI and cat 5 distribution.  In my main living room, I am using a 7.2 system and in all other TV areas straight stereo.  I am having problems with DirecTV sending Dolby Digital to the living room.  I can only get Dolby Digital Pro Logic on my preamplifier.  If I connect a optical output from the DirecTV receiver to the preamp and bypass the video matrix, I will get Dolby Digital correctly so to me this seems like a matrix related issue.  My installer is suspicious that if a source isn't locked down to an area, it gets downgraded to the lowest common denominator and in this case pro logic or stereo.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Does the matrix only downgrade the signal when multiple signals are on or all the time?

Welcome to the wonderful world of HDMI distribution.  To answer your question, yes, a lot of times systems are dumping things down to the lowest common denominator with video and/or audio.  It really depends on your matrix itself as to what that actually looks like.  

Welcome to the wonderful world of HDMI distribution. To answer your question, yes, a lot of times systems are dumping things down to the lowest common denominator with video and/or audio. It really depends on your matrix itself as to what that actually looks like.

They do but that prevents other destinations using the same source simultaneously.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived