C4 Forums | Control4

Soil Moisture

• 1 year later...

so i know this is a bit old, but i'm now looking for the same. right now, i think the project is use the i2c sensor and then integrate it into audrino, and get a zigbee/xbee shield to push to c4 somehow. looks like i'll be busy next weekend.

however, to save some time, has anyone done this before? 

ref: https://www.tindie.com/products/miceuz/i2c-soil-moisture-sensor/

FYI zigbee device integration into Control4 isn't as straight forward as most assume it is.  Control4 requires an additional Control4 specific cluster added to the zigbee stack on the device.  This cluster allows the device to send an identify packet to Control4, information about its signal strength and additional device information.  As such the manufacturer will need to make these changes.

Personally if you're going to design something I would utilise a esp8266.  It comes with built in wifi and has multiple GPIOs.  Circuit design will be quite minimalistic in comparison to utilise arduino with additional shields.

thanks @alanchow, i wouldnt integrate the zigbee directly (i'm working on that for some other projects) but more interested in getting a driver to poll the API for data. maybe that's something you could write rather easily? my test unit will be here tomorrow, happy to pay for your time :)

12 hours ago, digitaltrader said:

I had a previous conversation with PlantLink and they were willing to change the zigbee stack to accommodate Control4 but wanted someone to do it for them.  It was outside of my expertise so never pursued that option.

this is good to know. ill reach out to them and see if i can help. this may also be in @alanchow wheelhouse and they can market to home automation too

Archived