C4 Forums | Control4

Dealer says don't update

kajphotos

Hello everyone I'm currently running 2.5 .. And I asked my dealer if he could update me to 2.6 and his reply was I shuld stay were in at for now don't fix what's not broken... Any input on why would he say that ?? I mean upgrading is supposed to improve things right ? Pluse add a few things

There's plenty out there that live by that sentiment - and it isn't wrong as such.

you should at least be updated to 2.5.3 and patched with the hotfixes out there (not in the least the update manager patch many forget to do before upgrading to 2.6 and therefor have issues making the update happen).

2.6 has several new features, but it comes with a price - there may be devices in your system that are not supported, you may be using multiple Sonos to a matrix (there's an issue there with the otherwise great v8 Sonos driver and 2.6 - to be fixed by 2.7). You may have iOS or android devices that cease to work as touchscreens (new app - new minimum requirements)

Basically it's hard to say without knowing the system if it's good to update or not.

Also, as it stands there is a stated release date for the next update (2.7) at the end of March - so he may be referring to that.

There's plenty out there that live by that sentiment - and it isn't wrong as such.

you should at least be updated to 2.5.3 and patched with the hotfixes out there (not in the least the update manager patch many forget to do before upgrading to 2.6 and therefor have issues making the update happen).

2.6 has several new features, but it comes with a price - there may be devices in your system that are not supported, you may be using multiple Sonos to a matrix (there's an issue there with the otherwise great v8 Sonos driver and 2.6 - to be fixed by 2.7). You may have iOS or android devices that cease to work as touchscreens (new app - new minimum requirements)

Basically it's hard to say without knowing the system if it's good to update or not.

Also, as it stands there is a stated release date for the next update (2.7) at the end of March - so he may be referring to that.

This,

Updates should always be explained, but sometimes, it is advantageous to stay at a particular version.  I typically give the info regarding the differences, and my opinion on what "I would do".

Archived