C4 Forums | Control4

C4 signal not communicating with Garage

Hello, I am a homeowner who is getting my house outfitted with C4. I am having a problem with the garage. 

I have a detached garage that is about 12 feet behind my house. I have a garage door opener, and a quickset ZIGBEE deadbolt side door lock.  The main garage door works and I can open and close it from my phone, but the side door lock will not communicate with the system. My dealer tried a different lock and a zigbee extender with no resolve. They recommend an HC250 controller in the garage to create a separate system. I just can't justify spending all that money on a new controller just to have my side door work. I'm kinda confused how the garage door works but not the side door. 

Any suggestions??

Also do you have light switches as close to each end of the 12 ft as possible? You could also make a back door light switch a c4 switch which will act as a repeater

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also do you have light switches as close to each end of the 12 ft as possible? You could also make a back door light switch a c4 switch which will act as a repeater

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They mentioned adding light switches. That will be the first thing we will try because it's the cheapest option. Does it make sense that the garage door works and communicates but door lock doesn't??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know how they have the garage door integrated? I also have to agree the folks above that a lightswitch at your backdoor and one in your garage will be a good idea to extend the zigbee.

The garage door is wireless and that is working as expected. I believe they said that has an extender built into the part. Which is why it works. They said each component has a different signal strength and just maybe these quickset doors don't put out enough power.

I am going to have them try the light switches on the inside of the house on the back wall, but what is the best place for the second switch? I can use either one outside on a backyard BBQ area or inside the garage what will be the best option for the second switch. I've attached a few pics to see the layout.

c4f8e7cadd61d67c9b240dd199f0bb3e.jpg0a8537e237ec11aaabbd6e1ae1910996.jpg

The garage door is wireless and that is working as expected. I believe they said that has an extender built into the part. Which is why it works. They said each component has a different signal strength and just maybe these quickset doors don't put out enough power.

I am going to have them try the light switches on the inside of the house on the back wall, but what is the best place for the second switch? I can use either one outside on a backyard BBQ area or inside the garage what will be the best option for the second switch. I've attached a few pics to see the layout.

c4f8e7cadd61d67c9b240dd199f0bb3e.jpg0a8537e237ec11aaabbd6e1ae1910996.jpg

0c9d0ca5b4d717178193801994796702.jpg

If you plan on putting a tv out there you could always get a zigbee to ir to control te tv and put it on your c4 system it will also act as a zigbee repeater

Yes, I do plan on putting a TV out there. It's all hard wired. I will mention that. They never said anything about that. Hopefully that's a option.

Where's the main controller in your house located? Also what other Zigbee items do you have in the main house?

The main controller is centrally located in the basement in the a/v rack. It is about 50 feet from the garage. My house is cinder block and stone, as well as spray foam insulated, I am assuming the ZIGBEE is not able to penetrate through a 12 inch think concrete wall. I was hoping it would have passed through the 6 foot glass French door.

So looking at that last picture is the man door to the right of the overhead door? 

If the part they are using has an extender build in then I'm going to guess that its the Relay Contact Sensor from Axxess.  If thats the case and the overhead door is working without issue then its hard to believe that the lock on the man door isn't working.  The "extender" should already be helping with the signal strength in the garage. If you could look in your garage and take a picture of the "extender" if you know where they mounted it.  That would confirm what you have hooked up out there.  

Looking at that last picture your side door is to the right of that overhead door? 

msgreenf had a great suggestion, if your have the sr250 or sr150 remote, grab it and walk out to your garage and see if it works.  Your dealer should also be able to see if the lock is online, what its signal strength.  

Also may be a myq garage opener which is wifi

Except his dealer said it was repeater and was making the signal stronger.  The MyQ isn't a "repeater" but it is absolutely possible which is why I asked him to take a picture of the equipment in the garage.

So looking at that last picture is the man door to the right of the overhead door?

If the part they are using has an extender build in then I'm going to guess that its the Relay Contact Sensor from Axxess. If thats the case and the overhead door is working without issue then its hard to believe that the lock on the man door isn't working. The "extender" should already be helping with the signal strength in the garage. If you could look in your garage and take a picture of the "extender" if you know where they mounted it. That would confirm what you have hooked up out there.

Looking at that last picture your side door is to the right of that overhead door?

msgreenf had a great suggestion, if your have the sr250 or sr150 remote, grab it and walk out to your garage and see if it works. Your dealer should also be able to see if the lock is online, what its signal strength.

I will take a picture of the garage and let you know.

The locks, being battery powered, are sleepy end-node devices - and won't have as great of a range or signal strength as say, lighting or something that is plugged in to 120vac (zigbee to IR, zigbee range extender, card access kits, etc). So thats probably another reason why the garage door works but the locks not so much. Though, curiously, if it is card access at the opener - in theory the door lock should parent to that node.

Add the C4 light switch inside your garage . Also note that the locks are battery operated and are sleepy nodes so their for have major delays as well as poor wireless range ..

Yes, that was said 2 post above almost verbatim. Also there is another batter operated device in the garage that is working fine and most likely is a repeater, so there should be plenty of signal for the lock that is 6' away

No one has mentioned that maybe the lock is bad, it does happen.

Maybe take the lock off the door and go inside the house and see if it works? Confirm that it has been identified into the project as well. If it's not working it may have never been identified.

Rebuild the mesh, maybe the door lock is trying to grab onto a noisy or weak signal.

All troubleshooting I'd make sure my dealer was doing before I spent a few hundred dollars on a switch of two.

So its Card Access and its also a Zigbee extender which is doing the same thing that a lightswitch would be doing. As your door lock is 6' - 8' away from the extender you should be getting a signal.  Your dealer should be looking at checking the lock to make sure it works at all, as well as other troubleshooting. 

So its Card Access and its also a Zigbee extender which is doing the same thing that a lightswitch would be doing. As your door lock is 6' - 8' away from the extender you should be getting a signal. Your dealer should be looking at checking the lock to make sure it works at all, as well as other troubleshooting.

They are coming back next week to go over all these recommendations. I'll let you know. Thanks

Archived