C4 Forums | Control4

Keypad labels?

str1der

I use a Brother P-Touch labeler on both dimmers and keypads, and they work great. The labeler I use comes with a software program so I can layout the labels more precisely on my PC and then print to 1/4" or 1/2" tapes.

For 6-buttons I usually print one strip that goes vertically down the side with the text horizontally on it. For dimmers I'll usually print a 1/4" strip along the top for what the switch controls, and then an italicized 1/4" strip along the bottom for any "alt-function" I've programmed into the dimmer.

I'll take a few pics tonight and post them here later . . .

--Jason

P.S. I'm using Leviton white screwless face plates, and the white or clear labels both look great on them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I just printed on transparent avery labels and used scissors to cut out the size I needed. Have used the stickers for over 6 months now and they still look nice and arent peeling or fading. The hard part is getting the labels straight :)

I have done the same on my 6 button keypad. Printed to transparent label with a laser printer, cut to size on paper cutter (cut mine to fit/fill the area below the LED), applied to button. So far so good and you can't see that it is a label unless you get out your Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass!! :)

Looks sharp. I guess if you press any of the 3 source buttons on the left it turns on that source at some default volume. You can then adjust the volume up or down, or turn off all sources. If you change sources, what happens to the volume?

It changes the selected source to the default volume.

Which, since you mention it, that particular client now wants to ditch the VOL buttons for lighting scene buttons. Apparently they change the light level more than volume level. To each his/ her own I guess :)

Which, since you mention it, that particular client now wants to ditch the VOL buttons for lighting scene buttons. Apparently they change the light level more than volume level. To each his/ her own I guess :)

Perfect example of why engraved buttons are expensive to maintain.

Which' date=' since you mention it, that particular client now wants to ditch the VOL buttons for lighting scene buttons. Apparently they change the light level more than volume level. To each his/ her own I guess :)[/quote']

Perfect example of why engraved buttons are expensive to maintain.

It is not that expensive. We are only talking a few dollars here.

Hmm.... Mine was a piece of cake to replace the old buttons and pop in the new ones. My dealer ordered and shipped them to me. It took me about an hour to replace about 70 individual buttons. Most 6 button keypads, some 3 button keypads. By the way anybody want to buy some spare blank buttons :)

^Yeah they are not hard to replace by any means. Was just saying that for the dealer to do it (we are $80/ hr) adds to the cost. They took me I'd say 5 minutes for each 6 button to replace, and that's a conservative estimate being that you have to pull the thing out of the wall.

Edit to say... if designed correctly from the start... this cost does not even come into play.

Hit 300!!! w00t

• 1 year later...
I had a buddy of mine engrave the outlet cover to the left, and right of my 6 button switches, then If I change my programming later, I can buy a 50 cent cover......

This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing

Hmm.... Mine was a piece of cake to replace the old buttons and pop in the new ones. My dealer ordered and shipped them to me. It took me about an hour to replace about 70 individual buttons. Most 6 button keypads, some 3 button keypads. By the way anybody want to buy some spare blank buttons :)

I might be interested in some blanks (almond light) only. Anybody out there.

I've been programming buttons even I can't remember what they do :)

Unless anybody else have better suggestions on how to label these things. Mostly 6-button keypads

Yeah, I thought somebody might ask that. A friend in the commercial engraving business is going to TRY to engrave them for me.

He ask for a sample that I can SACRIFICE, he had some concerns about laser burn, testing etc. I have my concerns about mistakes, wrong spellings, change of programming etc. In anticipation I should try get spares (blanks) cause if he is succesful I will need them.

Anybody want to send some over my way?? Dead keypads?? I'll take any color actually specially Light Almond.

I've got a few 6-button & 3-button keypads so I could really use a some blanks.

Anything collecting dust will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Any other creative ideas will be good too. The printed label way does not work very well with the almond color.

Archived