C4 Forums | Control4

Constant HC-800 hangs

I have a problem that started with the install of 2.6 or some 3rd party drivers - at least once a day my HC-800 hangs and does not allow IP connections. Any connection from the iPad ap results in a hang or the "Unable to establish connection to remote server" error. Controller does not respond to a ping.

I have 4 devices in the project that have fixed IP addresses. I have DHCP entries in my router that force those assignments. I also did that for the controller itself. I can find no network addressing conflicts.

If I power cycle the HC-800, I can connect for anywhere from a few hours to maybe 12 and then the hang happens again. C4 just sends me a canned email when I send logs, telling me to reboot the controller and to have my dealer check for network issues. My local dealer doesn't seem interested in addressing the problem.

What kind of logging can I turn on/access with HE?

My iPad so is 2 7, but the system is on 2.6 - issue?

Should I just have someone update the HC-800 to 2.7 before trying any more trouble shooting?

Anyone know a good tool I can use on a PC to figure out when exactly the controller stops responding?

My wife is livid that this has gone on for weeks and isn't happy she can't connect to C4 when she wants to use it. I'm not thrilled with having to power cycle the box multiple times a day.

The HC-800 is plugged into a BlueBolt so I supposedly power cycle it remotely, but my dealer apparently set that up.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

1.6 patches were applied. Worked for about 6 hours, then hung again.

I see there is at least one other user having similar symptoms.

Can anyone suggest troubleshooting steps and/or a way to get actual Control4 support folks to look at this? I just get canned answers.

Can someone direct me to logging that I can enable using HE?

I have no doubt that my dealer CAN get C4 support involved, but it's getting that to actually happen that's the issue.

I want to have as much data as possible so when someone is involved the first response isn't "collect some data for a few days"

Something may be happening at midnight - twice I have been using the iPad ap just before midnight fine and then it's hung when I go back a few minutes later after midnight.

I have verified that there are no IP addressing conflicts on my network. Everything I have done points to an HC-800 issue. What else can/should I look for?

Some encouraging news - support for the Ecobee drivers identified a timing issue that was preventing the thermostat driver from getting thermostat info returned after my HC-800 controller rebooted, resulting in a loop trying to get valid info. The visible symptom of this was that the Ecobee data did not show up in the interface (e.g. iPad) after a controller reboot.

It may be too early to declare this was the root cause of the controller hang problem, but in watching what the drivers do (and what they did), I suspect looping poll eventually resulted in an out of memory condition in 2.6.

So - if you have an Ecobee driver installed and are unable to connect to your system sometime after a reboot (or no longer see the thermostat data in the C4 interface), contact thedriverslab support and get an update to the 1.0.0.5 driver package.

Thanks to Brian and Matt from Control4 for stepping in to help and to the driverslab folks for not insisting that I have my dealer try to solve the problem.

I'll update this thread if I receive any more relevant info.

Archived