C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI volume control

h_sqd

I have an Anthem AVM-50V coupled to my HC800.  I use the AVM for mode switching and zone control and have them coupled by an HDMI cable.  All that works well enough given that my house is open and I never split functions between zones.  However, when I select TuneIn as a source in the HC800, the default (only?) volume is about 20 db higher than my other sources. 

Am I missing something?  The AVM doesn't have a separate source input preset level for HDMI.  Bite the bullet and go analog?

Cyknight,

Well, I patched analog audio from HC800 Audio Out 1 to the AVM-50V while leaving the HDMI linked.  No signal.  Then I used composite video out and disconnected the HDMI altogether.  After much scrambling, I finally have audio at an adjustable level, but can't seem to recover the C4 screen in that path, although it was kinda hit and miss before. (I rarely use it, because I tend to use my iPhone for control.

Leaving HDMI connected int he system forces the controller to preference HDMI - you'd need to put a virtual signal converter in that changes the HDMI to (for example) DVI, then back to HDMI. This removes the audio path as far as the system is concerned.

And what 'composite' are you using? 800 has component and hdmi only.

Sorry, should have said component video.  And as you implied, I had to pull the HDMI cable to let the other modes work.  Still can't get the 800's video to show up on the TV via the AVM-50.  Is it possible that the AVM won't convert to HDMI?  (Everything else is HDMI coming to the AVM.)  If that is true, would a Digital Audio path co-exist with HDMI. 

BTW, the HC800 manual says that HDMI and Component can both be plugged in, but only one is active.  It doesn't say that HDMI takes precedence.

Unless you moved the connection in composerpro over to component, nothing will come through. And in reality, you can physically connect both component and HDMI, but the system won't allow both to exist in the same time - so in reality it's one or the other, never both.

You can keep the HDMI for the onscreen and connect stereo audio as well, but as I said, you have to 'break' the audio off of the HDMI by doing some virtual conversions. HDMI AUDIO takes precedence over all other audio outputs - so if you have both paths available the system will always choose HDMI

Archived