C4 Forums | Control4

HC-1000 USB restore

I was trying to restore a HC-1000v3 to 2.2.4 from 2.4. I created the USB stick and followed the instructions. After plugging the USB stick in and rebooting the controller, I could see some activity on the stick LED, followed by blinking LEDs for the DATA and LINK. Soon after this, the LEDs for these became solid. I left it on for 10 more minutes and then pressed the Identify button. It didn't do anything.

Finally, I rebooted by power cycling using the power button in the back. The unit powers on but nothing else is happening. I am not able to connect to it over SSH or using Composer.

Any suggestions?

AJ

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere else that you have to downgrade to 1.7 before you can go back up. You cannot back-rev inside V2.

This isn't accurate as such - a factory restore can certainly get you to a lower version than you were on before (though the 'stick' style allowed for a restore/update to newer versions as well). However it is NOT adviseable to try and restore a controller to a lower version to actually run a full project. Factory restores don't mess with the Linux kernels underlying the C4 OS - so issues can occur.

The HC1000 follows a slightly different restore path than others, though technically you did it correct. You did I assume remove the restore stick prior to pressing the ID or powercycling?

The following is purely at your own risk!:

You may have to crack your case (assuming you're out of warranty) - there should be a VGA connection you can rig to - the HC1000 doesn't have any navigator to run, but it WILL output boot info. That may give you some better clue to go from.

No IP, no response to subsequent restores is NOT a good thing. It's also possible you have a bad DOM - a restore or update (or even a powercycle) can trigger the actual effect - and it will mean the unit is a brick. There was a patch for that particular issue, but if not applied...once it's in that state, it's over.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave this a shot last night. No output is displayed to the VGA connection other than a blinking cursor. I'm guessing the HC-1000 is toast  but I'm going to try restore to under 2.0.

On another note, I cracked open the box and saw that the interiors of the HC-1000 are mostly vast nothingness. Powersupply, motherboard of about 6x6 in size and cables that are mostly unused.

Archived