C4 Forums | Control4

Some problems with this forum

I've just finished scanning and reading the posts in the entire General Discussion section

starting with the oldest. There are some problems that made it quite tedious.

First, when clicking on a post, it requires a very careful and fast double click or you get left with a blank

screen, which requires the back button and another attempt at click. I believe this is a site problem

as this has never happened to me before.

Next, when going to another page, the little number is very hard to hit. There should be some kind of forward

and back button. This also suffers from the very fast double click problem.

Next, when returning from reading a post, it is very hard to see my place. You should color the posts that have been viewed.

Finally I want to thank the persons responsible for the forum. The content is very good and everyone was

uniformly polite. As a newcomer to Control 4 with a system just set up, I'm quite anxious to learn everything

about the system I can.

Thank you.

Larry

Larry-

First off, welcome to the forums. Hope you learn a lot from them and I'm glad you're excited about Control4. It's a wonderful system.

That thing I just did . . . it's called leading with the postive . . . I highly encourage it!! :D:D:D I'm teasing you, of course, but I mean it in good fun. All the things you mentioned in terms of feedback on the functionality of the forums would be best directed to the forums here:

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/

Punbb is the forums software this site uses, and all the usability aspects you mention are features of that software, not things that the operator of C4Forums determines or controls. By the way, that operator is not me, and it's not Control4, it's a C4 dealer who volunteers to keep these up and running, so three cheers for Dan!! :D

I did notice this announcement:

** We had to temporarily take the cluster load balancer offline. Everything should function correctly, there may be some minor latency. The load balancer will be back online by this evening

So that may have something to do with some of the load issues you're having. Give it a day and see how it is.

Again, welcome to the forums!!

--Jason

Jason,

the problems with the forum have been going on for a few days now. Every 2nd or 3rd request fails which simply means one of your 2 or 3 web servers is not responding and yeah, if the load balancer is offline it will not mask this problem. I still see the issues as of 5.30am this morning.

hope you can put the load balancer back up soon. :)

Jason,

the problems with the forum have been going on for a few days now. Every 2nd or 3rd request fails which simply means one of your 2 or 3 web servers is not responding and yeah, if the load balancer is offline it will not mask this problem. I still see the issues as of 5.30am this morning.

hope you can put the load balancer back up soon. :)

I've seen the same thing, but I'm just a mod here. Load balancing and web servers are above my pay grade. Specifically because my pay grade status is 'volunteer' :D

But yes, I have seen the same issues, thus far always corrected with a single click on the refresh button. I strongly suspect it will be worked out soon . . .

In the meantime, I'm going to be reaching into my own C4Forums paycheck (see above) to finance 100% refunds of the C4Forums.com monthly subscription fee of any user affected by this outage. :D:D:D

--Jason

Hey Everyone,

Sorry about the technical issues we have been experiencing. As you all know c4forums is hosted on CYTEXONE infrastructure. CYTEXONE just moved into our new office in downtown manhattan (tribeca). At the same time we brought dark fiber into our office that goes directly to our datacenter where c4forums is hosted on a hosting cluster we own. During our upgrade one of our core switches needed to be replaced and upgraded to handle the new capacity. During that time the hosting cluster front end nodes disconnected from the NFS shares and I have not been able to get them back connected. This was because the switch we put in as a stop gap measure to handle the new capacity was not the permanent switch.

This evening our core switch was replaced so now we can bring the full cluster back online. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon we will be back up and running at full capacity. You shouldn't be experiencing any issues presently as the load balancing features are off. If you are having any other issues tomorrow please let me know.

Thanks everyone :)

Dan

I don't know about unusable - but I will agree with everyone else - it's still there and is a bug. I just hit REFRESH and it comes in. At first I thought it was my ad-blocker - but I disabled that and it still occurred...

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Dan, and thanks as always for providing this resource.

To anyone who's experiencing the issue, it seems that every time it's happened for me a single refresh (F5 is the keyboard shortcut in most browsers) fixes it.

It certainly affects usability, and I can understand how folks who read and post here might be frustrated by the glitch. But thinking back to the last time my company moved offices, I appreciate that even with all that activity and chaos going on in Dan's day job business, the CytexOne folks are still working on resolving this as well.

I resolve to continue being patient and practicing my page refreshes, and I hope others will as well. Like so many of my favorite things on the internet, C4Forums.com exists because someone (in this case Dan) takes on the financial and time commitment to build it and maintain it, and I try to treat glitches in such enterprises a bit differently than if, for example, my cell phone provider was dropping calls for several days.

Thanks, all!

--Jason

Archived