C4 Forums | Control4

Basic setup of Control 4 controller with non-SDDP devices/drivers

Hi All,

Forgive me if some of these questions have already been asked, as I just joined this forum :-)

I'm currently in the process of buying and customizing a new house, and right now, I'm working on all the electrical options. I'm setting-up/customizing a new Control4 setup with my local dealer, and have some questions about very basic setup.

Within the new home community my new house is located within, I'm initially 'forced' to use the dealer that the builder provides for all electrical and audio/video structured wiring/low voltage work.  I'm fine with this (as I don't have a choice), but I'd rather keep the work this dealer does to a minimum, as there is another local dealer I'd probably rather work with in the future.

Anyway, apart from doing all my wiring work, the dealer will order my Control4 components and do initial setup.  Ideally, I'd love to have my own copy of Composer Pro to do my own device driver installation, but I know that is not directly possible without having a dealer license (I'm also guessing there may be a way to obtain Composer Pro without a dealer license, and I'd be interested in knowing how :-) ).  

Is it possible for my dealer to install and setup all the drivers, for my non-SDDP devices, without me having to turn on and connect those devices?  Can I simply just tell my dealer the device names (software and hardware) for them to search (I already know which devices I own either have or don't have a driver).  Since I'll also be in the process of moving after closing, I'd rather not need to have all my components moved over and setup in the house prior to driver installation on my Control4 controller.  Also, I ask because I would like the dealer to literally do the least amount of work possible, and I'll do the rest (with Composer Home Edition) if possible. I'm guessing SDDP devices (right now, I already purchased a 16 channel C4 audio matrix switch as well as both an 8 and 16 channel C4 matrix amp) need to be turned on for automatic device driver installation, which I don't mind doing for those few things.

Ok, to answer your main question yes, it is possible for a dealer to program a system before anything is installed.  We actually do that all the time, in order to save on time we are actually at the job site.  Just keep in mind that actually involves a decent amount more than just adding some drivers for your devices.  Your dealer will have to also do all of the connections in your project, which will be a decent amount since it sounds like you have 12 or so zones of audio (Cant be done in Home Edition).  Then once everything is actually installed your system will need to be registered, updated, and all of the devices will need to be identified and tested.  You'll also want to make sure you've got your network sorted out.  Hope that is helpful.   

Ok, to answer your main question yes, it is possible for a dealer to program a system before anything is installed.  We actually do that all the time, in order to save on time we are actually at the job site.  Just keep in mind that actually involves a decent amount more than just adding some drivers for your devices.  Your dealer will have to also do all of the connections in your project, which will be a decent amount since it sounds like you have 12 or so zones of audio (Cant be done in Home Edition).  Then once everything is actually installed your system will need to be registered, updated, and all of the devices will need to be identified and tested.  You'll also want to make sure you've got your network sorted out.  Hope that is helpful.   

Thanks for your comments.  I'm still learning a lot about Control4, so it C4 'vocabulary', what exactly are connections defined as?  Are they simply specific devices added to a project?  

My network will be all sorted out and ready to go prior to Control4 setup, so that should work out ok.

After you add the driver for each device you have to make the connections for that device.  Connections would define physical connections ie cable box hdmi out is connected to receiver sat/cbl hdmi.  You need to bind all of the physical connections you make with your equipment in the programming of the system so that control4 can create audio and video paths from source to display or source to speaker.

After you add the driver for each device you have to make the connections for that device.  Connections would define physical connections ie cable box hdmi out is connected to receiver sat/cbl hdmi.  You need to bind all of the physical connections you make with your equipment in the programming of the system so that control4 can create audio and video paths from source to display or source to speaker.

Makes perfect sense regarding connections.  Does this mean that if/when I ever change a physical connection, I have to call up my dealer for them to make programming adjustments using Composer Pro?  Is there really no way I can do connection adjustments, post initial setup, with Composer Home?  Also, is there a way I can get a license for Composer Express on my iPad?

On another note, I have multiple of some specific source devices (Windows HTPCs, PS3s, AppleTVs, Airport Express's, etc...).  In general, does driver licensing enable me to use one driver for all relevent devices (e.g: 1 driver license for 2 PS3s), or is this dependent on the specific driver's license model?  

Additionally, in case I would like to have the C4 controller's OSD (1 HC800) accessible on all the TV locations, could I actually use an HDMI distribution amp/splitter from the HC800?  I'd rather not have a separate, say, HC250, for other location just for OSD.

Makes perfect sense regarding connections.  Does this mean that if/when I ever change a physical connection, I have to call up my dealer for them to make programming adjustments using Composer Pro?  Yes, but once your system is dialed in how often o you plan on changing out hardware?

Is there really no way I can do connection adjustments, post initial setup, with Composer Home?  Composer Home is still very powerful the limited controls you do not have access to do not effect most.  

Also, is there a way I can get a license for Composer Express on my iPad?  NO

On another note, I have multiple of some specific source devices (Windows HTPCs, PS3s, AppleTVs, Airport Express's, etc...).  In general, does driver licensing enable me to use one driver for all relevent devices (e.g: 1 driver license for 2 PS3s), or is this dependent on the specific driver's license model?  

Depends on the license most are for your controller. You need a driver for each device in your home.

Additionally, in case I would like to have the C4 controller's OSD (1 HC800) accessible on all the TV locations, could I actually use an HDMI distribution amp/splitter from the HC800?  I'd rather not have a separate, say, HC250, for other location just for OSD.

C4 official answer is no.   This can be done but their are limitations, like both rooms access the navi, or programming for cameras and such.  Depending on the size of your project you may need an extra controller for zigbee.

Makes perfect sense regarding connections.  Does this mean that if/when I ever change a physical connection, I have to call up my dealer for them to make programming adjustments using Composer Pro?  Yes, but once your system is dialed in how often o you plan on changing out hardware?

Is there really no way I can do connection adjustments, post initial setup, with Composer Home?  Composer Home is still very powerful the limited controls you do not have access to do not effect most.  

Depends on the license most are for your controller. You need a driver for each device in your home.

C4 official answer is no.   This can be done but their are limitations, like both rooms access the navi, or programming for cameras and such.  Depending on the size of your project you may need an extra controller for zigbee.

I don't plan to be changing my setup a lot.  It's just that I have quite a bit of gear and tend to like to fiddle/experiment, but this shouldn't be a problem.  Once I have my rack built up and all components connected, it should be fairly straight forward for my dealer to add all necessary drivers and connections.

I don't plan to be changing my setup a lot.  It's just that I have quite a bit of gear and tend to like to fiddle/experiment, but this shouldn't be a problem.  Once I have my rack built up and all components connected, it should be fairly straight forward for my dealer to add all necessary drivers and connections.

Also, upon further thought, if I do end up wanting at least two OSD TV locations, I'll probably want independent control in each room, thus, I'll probably go with multiple controllers

Archived