C4 Forums | Control4

Best WiFi Router and POE Data Switches for C4 networks?

orrinc

Control4's White Paper on networking hardware, which is dated 1/29/08, recommends the Linksys WRVS4400N router and the D-Link DES-1316 switches for Control4 data networks.

Since it's been over 6 months since that paper was released, and there's a new C4 software release on the way, are those recommendations still the best?

Is the Netgear FS726TP a better choice for a switch, as some people here have suggested?

I'm about to buy a bunch of network hardware for a number of C4 systems, so I'd like to hear from some other fellow integrators what the best choices currently are . . .

I'll be using two switches in each system- one for general Internet access, and the other for the C4 hardware. The systems are in high-rise buildings, and the square footage is relatively small, so I think a single WiFi router should cover the spaces just fine.

Thanks!

Orrin

• 1 month later...

Control4's White Paper on networking hardware, which is dated 1/29/08, recommends the Linksys WRVS4400N router and the D-Link DES-1316 switches for Control4 data networks.

Since it's been over 6 months since that paper was released, and there's a new C4 software release on the way, are those recommendations still the best?

Is the Netgear FS726TP a better choice for a switch, as some people here have suggested?

I'm about to buy a bunch of network hardware for a number of C4 systems, so I'd like to hear from some other fellow integrators what the best choices currently are . . .

I'll be using two switches in each system- one for general Internet access, and the other for the C4 hardware. The systems are in high-rise buildings, and the square footage is relatively small, so I think a single WiFi router should cover the spaces just fine.

Thanks!

Orrin

I use the netgear switch you mentioned, works fine. No need to purchase two though unless you need additional ports, just use VLAN to cut down broadcast traffic. Two switches wouldn't help you much anyhow unless you actually put them on separate subnets. If anything purchase a full gig switch

PS. netgear had a mail in rebate through sept for a free Ipod nano with this router. The more expensive give you a free ipod touch.

I was told I will need the Linksys WRVS4400N wireless router if I want to use Control4. My installer did not tell me about the switch? Is this part absolutely essential? I would be using the C4 for one room HT only. Other then that, we have a few computers on the wireless network.

I was told I will need the Linksys WRVS4400N wireless router if I want to use Control4. My installer did not tell me about the switch? Is this part absolutely essential? I would be using the C4 for one room HT only. Other then that, we have a few computers on the wireless network.

No, it's not essential if you're running something small. I would recommend subnetting the c4 though. Usually most people get the switches for POE capabilities for touchpanels and/or ip cams, as well as creating system stability/managability for larger networks.

I'm assuming that both subnets will require internet access, one for system updates/Rapshody etc and the other for general access.

My recommendation would be to either ensure that the 2 VLANs don't have routes to each other or ideally firewall the C4 VLAN, as all C4 Wifi equipment is WEP only (with the exception of the new 7" TS)

• 9 months later...

Thanks!

Orrin

Thought I'd resurrect this post to include todays recommendation for a switch. Anyone still running the Netgear 726?

Has any dealer tried to address the roaming situation with the 7" WiFi by utilizing a wireless switch and companion APs? This is incredible expensive but seems like it would add value to an already expensive piece of equipment.

Yes, use a Luxul antenna on your wifi AP. One access point, solid coverage, no need for multiple APs or roaming.

The luxul amp requires an access point or router with a removable antenna.

The luxul kit amp plugs into the AP via coax cable and then has an antenna also plugged into the amp.

Coverage is about 10,000 sqft with this model, they have another one for ~50,000.

http://www.luxulwireless.com/product/pro-wavtm-systems/pro-wav-100

Again, I have no coax run to a high-point in the house. Plus, what about outside up on a roof? The 7" WiFi has the same problem, I suspect, as the gen 1 10.5" does/did- limited polarity antenna and/or weak tranceiver.

You dont have to run coax to a highpoint. This thing is powerful enough to work through multiple floors. There's a thread in the dealer forums about a guy having one of the small Luxul pieces on the far end first floor of a three story house and he has excellent coverage. Think of it as 10,000 CUBIC feet vs. sq foot. Only another post said it didnt work well in over 1' thick concrete.

If I had a guaranteed buyer for it then I'd risk it. It would need to go in a basement and punch-up three stories. I don't think FAT AP is the way to go for VoIP and servicing roaming 7" WiFis.

Archived