C4 Forums | Control4

Help getting speaker point working?

I have a wireless speaker point that I haven't used in a few years.  It was last on version 2.0 connected by wifi.  I can't seem to get it to appear on my network either through the wired or wireless interfaces.  The front panel only shows the power led lit.  I've attempted to press and hold the identify button for as long as 1 minute.  On one occasion I held the identify button until all three LEDs lit up and then released.  This; as far as I know, was supposed to reset it's network settings back to DHCP using the wired interface.  Using my wireless router I can see that an IP has not been leased out to a device with the MAC address listed on the bottom of my speaker point.

I was able to obtain a copy of the USB Restore utility (found it on the internet, please don't yell at me dealers) and attempted to perform a USB restore to 2.5.3.  I inserted the drive into the USB port on the back of the speaker point and then rebooted.  I saw the power LED on solid while the Data and Link LEDs alternately blinked for a while and then turned off.  I'm under the impression this means the restore completed.   But still no dice.  No IP has been leased out to a device with my speakers point's MAC address.  I even performed an IP Scan of my entire network address space.

I want to be able to have this device up and on my network before the dealer comes over to program it.  By providing my dealer with the IP of my speaker point I'll save him a decent amount of time and myself, a decent amount of money.

The speaker point will use sddp so the ip is not necessarily important. 

proper network reset

Unplug power

Hold down Link\ID\Identify button

Plug in

Hold link\ID button until Data and Link lights come on solid together (they will only be in this state for a couple of seconds). Let go before those lights turn off.

also

Home Theater Controller, Media Controller, and Mini Touch Screen devices are not supported in USB Restore version 1.8.0 and above. If one of these devices needs to be restored for a project that is running version 1.8.0 or above, it must be restored to the latest 1.7.4 version and then updated in the project using Composer Update Manager. Speaker Point Rev A hardware will not take a USB Restore version between 1.8.0 and 2.2.1. It can be USB restored with 1.7.4 and 2.2.2. Speaker Point Rev B hardware will only take 2.2.2 restore and later.

Okay, so I unplugged the power to the speaker point.  Then I pressed and held the ID button on the front of the speaker point and maintained pressure on it while I simultaneously plugged the power back in.  I continued to maintain pressure on the ID button for an additional ~1 minute until I saw the Link and Data lights illuminate.  I immediately released pressure on the ID button and the Link and Data lights turned off.  After that, no activity and I still can't see it anywhere on my network.  IP scan revealed nothing.

On the rear of the speaker point where the Ethernet interface is, I can see one of the link lights blink once every 5 to 10 seconds.  That's about all the activity I can see on it.

It appears to be working.  I have another question.  I'm currently on 2.5.3 and my master controller is an HC300.  I understand that if I want to upgrade beyond 2.5.3 I've got to use a newer controller.  I'm also under the impression that this is the case with my speaker point as well.  They aren't supported beyond 2.5.3 right?  What is the alternative  product solution for a speaker point beyond 2.5.3?  Especially a wireless speaker point where it's impractical to run speaker wires to a difficult location in the house from the home run?

sonos connect amp. connect with amplifier of your choice.

ea 1 with amplifier

ea 3 with more choice of amplifiers

you can continue using both the hc300 and the speaker point. but the more features you give them the less new features you can use. This mostly pertains to the new advanced audio digital media

Archived