C4 Forums | Control4

Connecting 3 Sonose amps to one pre-out on AVR

So, here is the deal...

AVR in the living room and 3 Sonos amps in 3 other rooms, 4 audio zones in total, control over hc250.

Client comes to me and asks to have "one wall button" with which he can start playing whatever is playing in living room in other 3 rooms.

By whatever he means cable tv, media player, Chromecast, local music, TuneIn...the works.

My idea is to have AVRs second zone preout split into 3 and feed it to Sonos amps, they are located in the same rack as AVR.

So when "that wall button" is pressed i just turn on Sonos amps and set them to Line-in input. They should start playing whatever is coming out of those 2 zone preouts.

My questions are, can i select Line-in on Sonos to start playing automatically and how....

and for that preout splitter, can i just solder 3 RCA stereo cables to one or do i need some sort of RCA stereo splitter.

I mean will the "solder" variant exhibit any loos in signal or whatnot?

Thx

I know that if you connect the Zone 2 to just one of the line ins on the one of Sonos Amps then all three of those rooms can play the source and the Sonos will keep it in sync.  Problem that you may run into is the room with the AVR may be out of sync with the Sonos rooms.  Also the AVR may not allow all the digital sources to be played through the analog Zone 2 Out. 

If you just want Sonos content in all four rooms I would add a Sonos Connect to the AVR but that doesn't seem to be the case.

As far as the programming I know it's possible but I'll let one of the more experienced guys help with that.  

Thx for answering. I know there is a global linein driver but i don't know can i use sonos amps separately with it, like in one room play linein and in other two play tunein... Delay with avr isn't an issue because rooms aren't directly connected and i only need max 3 inputs to go out on zone2 out. I made the 3 to 1 rca stereo cable and it works fine, no loss of signal. And i saw in programming that i can select linein as source and then send play command within the sonos driver.

I just like when customers completely change their mind after everything is installed and then they expect that their new idea is going to work immediately...

Sent from my LG G2

• 1 month later...

You will only need to connect the pre out on the avr zone 2 to one of the line-in RCA jacks on the Connct:Amps as the virtual matrix will do the work for you over the LAN. From a programming aspect its fairly simple, if you create your bindings correctly in the connections tab, following the literal path of the audio C4 will do the hard work for you and you should find the devices audio available in the listen menu for that room on the navs. Then all you have to do is bind that source selection to "that button". As the above poster says though beware of the digital media not being outputed through the zone2 preout.  

Archived