C4 Forums | Control4

Panelized Lighting

I have a system with panelists lighting and 5 of the kcb keypads. Every time the power goes out the client has to power cycle the keypad bus after the systems has rebooted to bring the bus back online. Has anyone out there with panelized lighting had these issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen this on our two big panelized lighting jobs. Our C4 system is on battery backup but the keypad bus ethernet gateways are not. One has somewhere between 50-70 keypads and 3 bus ethernet gateways with 8 panels and 4 modules in each... ~256 panelized lights. We do have some free channels though.

You dont have to reboot director, but reboot just the gateway? Is C4 on the most current version? What's the network setup like?

I've seen it - too much surge current on initial startup. I'm going to guess both connections on the bus are in use? Try removing one output, see if the keypad bus starts up - it'll be a pretty solid indicator that there are too many devices on the powersupply.

Alternativel, there may be a minor short somewhere (ie data neg to ground)

Perfect, thanks for the follow up.

I have another issue where if power goes out and the bus power cycles it wont come online unless I pull off 4 of the bus wires. Once that is done it will boot and I can plug those 4 back in. Its not dependent on which four its any four so that tells me the wiring is ok.

Codeman, How many keypads do you have on a bus? I am trying to do 34 on one bus with 3-4 keypads on a run

The issue is the gate way doesnt have enough power on start up it. Control4 made modifications and added a capacitor to it to help with the power on start up. The projects I had the issues on only have 10 or less keypads.  Call tech support and let them know whats going on they will get you a new one right away. knowledge base article 1664

• 4 years later...

I completed a panelized C4 system with no issues. Client upgraded to retro led lights and now have issue. 
I’m surprised to see hardly any portions on the C4 panelized approved lights. 
I mean like 4 or 5 off brands are the only lights listed. 
Can anyone tell me the male and model of a retro led light that works well with C4 modules?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.