C4 Forums | Control4

Install Plex Media server on top of vidabox

cybuch

So my question is, has anyone installed the Plex Media Server on a vidabox and had good luck?  I am running 2 vidaboxes at two different locations with dune Hd base 3ds as the players. The two sites are connected via a IPSEC VPN over FTTH GPON on both sides.  When I transfer a large (~30 gig) file from one vidabox to the other across the VPN, I am getting ~50MBps, I would think this is plenty for Dune to play but for some reason dune isn't happy with the tunnel and will start to shutter while playing.  I tested the Dune read rate at each site and they are both at ~6.1MBps with remote files and ~28MBps with a local file, which makes no sense.  My thought is to install the Plex Media Server on the vidaboxes and use roku 4 as the clients at each location and let Plex compress when needed.  Then install the @alanchow Plex driver.  Will the Plex driver work with Roku?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Our Plex Full driver for Control4 works extremely well on the Roku.  The Plex Media Server does not have to be in the same house as the Roku as well.  We did a demo to Control4 dealers at a dealer conference in Queenstown and had the server in Christchurch.  I personally have never used a Vidabox before so make sure that the Plex solution works standalone first prior to driver installation.

58 minutes ago, alanchow said:

Our Plex Full driver for Control4 works extremely well on the Roku.  The Plex Media Server does not have to be in the same house as the Roku as well.  We did a demo to Control4 dealers at a dealer conference in Queenstown and had the server in Christchurch.  I personally have never used a Vidabox before so make sure that the Plex solution works standalone first prior to driver installation.

Well, thats good enough for me.  I am going to give it a shot and see how it goes.

40 minutes ago, cybuch said:

Plex is not an option for anyone that is using "disc image" format....seems like a huge gap to me.  I guess its back to the drawing board.  No Plex media server for me!

That is correct.  As plex transcodes its content to suit the player's supported file formats and network speed it cannot do disc images.  You will need to rip it into something like mkv.

if you want to use something that does disc images try our Kodi.

50 minutes ago, alanchow said:

That is correct.  As plex transcodes its content to suit the player's supported file formats and network speed it cannot do disc images.  You will need to rip it into something like mkv.

if you want to use something that does disc images try our Kodi.

this looks like a good option, do I need any server software other than network shares?

12 hours ago, alanchow said:

No you don't.  Kodi can browse content on various shares.

Thanks Alan, getting it setup at both locations.  So far one location is working perfect, going to test the other one tonight.  

11 hours ago, diamonddesign said:

Another option is to use Rsync at both locations. Then you're not live streaming the movie.  If you have the room for your content at one place you likely have it at the other.

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea.  We do have space at each end, but the thought was we could double it by sharing.  And sometimes my parents don't buy the movies I would watch.

i did get Kodi working on both ends over the VPN on a windows machine and a MacBook Pro.  I just ordered up 2 NVIDIAs, fingers crossed those work.   If not, we will go the RSYNC route. 

On 8/16/2016 at 11:21 AM, alanchow said:

Once you have it set up check out or Kodi driver.  It's the most feature rich media player driver in Control4.

http://www.chowmain.co.nz/kodi-xbmc-full-driver-for-control4

@alanchow does your driver support changing audio tracks? Can I change from say 5.1 to 2.0 from your driver, while playing a movie in code?

3 minutes ago, cybuch said:

@alanchow does your driver support changing audio tracks? Can I change from say 5.1 to 2.0 from your driver, while playing a movie in code?

yep.  Lukas from Yatun asked us to do that to so that his dealers can automate matrix based solutions.  It is an action in the programming tab.

1 hour ago, alanchow said:

yep.  Lukas from Yatun asked us to do that to so that his dealers can automate matrix based solutions.  It is an action in the programming tab.

Ok, you officially rock!!!  Thats exactly what I will need to do!!

18 minutes ago, cybuch said:

Ok, you officially rock!!!  Thats exactly what I will need to do!!

Thanks.  We take pride in our work and we usually implement the feature request if it is genuinely useful to everyone.

On 8/21/2016 at 5:34 PM, alanchow said:

Thanks.  We take pride in our work and we usually implement the feature request if it is genuinely useful to everyone.

@alanchow I think I need to clarify what I am asking, can the driver adjust the Kodi settings to change the audio output from say 7.1 to 2.0.  I am trying to figure out a way to get this to play through my Matrix in different rooms.  I have a theatre that will do ATMOS, and living room that will do 7.1 but the master will only do 2.0 though a matrix AMP.  My thought is, when I play it in the theatre or living room to switch it to 7.1.  But when I add a room or its not the theater, switch it to 2.0 output.  Under system->settings->system->audio output: number of channels.  I am not sure it is possible?

3 hours ago, cybuch said:

@alanchow I think I need to clarify what I am asking, can the driver adjust the Kodi settings to change the audio output from say 7.1 to 2.0.  I am trying to figure out a way to get this to play through my Matrix in different rooms.  I have a theatre that will do ATMOS, and living room that will do 7.1 but the master will only do 2.0 though a matrix AMP.  My thought is, when I play it in the theatre or living room to switch it to 7.1.  But when I add a room or its not the theater, switch it to 2.0 output.  Under system->settings->system->audio output: number of channels.  I am not sure it is possible?

Yes that is what it does.  It changes that audio output channel setting

@alanchow I got your trail version installed, and I have to say, this is what home automation is about!!  Excellent job on the driver!!  Top notch!!!

Is there a way to auto stop a movie if nothing in the system is watching it?  Sometimes, I forget to hit stop.

33 minutes ago, cybuch said:

@alanchow I got your trail version installed, and I have to say, this is what home automation is about!!  Excellent job on the driver!!  Top notch!!!

Is there a way to auto stop a movie if nothing in the system is watching it?  Sometimes, I forget to hit stop.

Yeah its our top selling driver.  I put alot of work into it (took 3 whole months to develop).  The driver has an option to auto room off when the screensaver kicks in.  This is useful when you pause a movie or fall asleep and don't turn the system off.  The driver will then automatically turn any room off that has that driver selected as the current source.

23 minutes ago, alanchow said:

Yeah its our top selling driver.  I put alot of work into it (took 3 whole months to develop).  The driver has an option to auto room off when the screensaver kicks in.  This is useful when you pause a movie or fall asleep and don't turn the system off.  The driver will then automatically turn any room off that has that driver selected as the current source.

Sometime, I just hit watch and go to a different source, I am guessing I would need to hit stop first?

Hey @alanchow, I finally got my nvidia shield rooted, I was having problem of Kodi going to sleep and not launching when I want to watch a movie. My question is, with it rooted and LANmote installed, will your driver auto launch the APP, if I enable Android in the driver?  And does it matter if I am running Kodi or SBMC?  I am running SBMC so I can get ATMOS output. 

2 hours ago, cybuch said:

Hey @alanchow, I finally got my nvidia shield rooted, I was having problem of Kodi going to sleep and not launching when I want to watch a movie. My question is, with it rooted and LANmote installed, will your driver auto launch the APP, if I enable Android in the driver?  And does it matter if I am running Kodi or SBMC?  I am running SBMC so I can get ATMOS output. 

If you enable android in the driver then it will launch the Kodi app.  It will not launch any fork

Archived