C4 Forums | Control4

school me on the V3 and matrix switch...

neil12011

I keep hearing people with only like 4 sources having a matrix switch and a V3 amp....Do most people have more than 8 sources that the V3 alone can't handle? I'm a little confused on this, for your basic: cable box, ipod, C4 controller, multituner, isn't the amp enough? Are people trying to distribute analog toaster audio? Do you guys have stand mixers with audio outs?!? help me out on this one...also, what is the deal with everyone Y'ing the connections when they enough inputs?

IMO, I could easily fill up an 8x8 with sources, most people could.

I would say it just comes down to simplicity. I would rather have a good-quality, video/audio matrix switch and lock the inputs on the C4 amp or a 3rd party amp for an 8 zone system. Granted, you could just use a comp. video switch and the C4 amp, but then you have to worry about distributing the digital audio if there are more than 1 surround sound zones. Look at NeoPro, for example, the Borrego is comp. video/ stereo aud./ SPDIF all in one. Less hassle in wiring, easy flexibility.

I don't know why people Y stuff. I don't LIKE to do it, but will, if that is the request. If you make a future-proof plan from the start, you shouldn't have to Y anything, but, there are those customers/situations that do arise from time to time.

what does locking the inputs accomplish?

Locking the inputs of the amp "locks" input 1 to output 1, input 2 to output 2, etc. Basically disabling the matrix switch. This is commonly done when you have a separate C4 Audio Matrix Switch and hook 2 C4 amps to the C4 Audio Matrix Switch. When this is done the C4 Audio Matrix switch directs inputs to each amp and controls the volume.

Archived