C4 Forums | Control4

Homebridge Network Appliance Beta - Control4 w/ HomeKit

Joshua Pressnell

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, cdepaola said:

Not auto assign.  Just pick up what rooms are currently available in HomeKit and the ability to choose one of those already defined rooms... Say I have already put into homekit Kitchen, Living Room, Family Room, Bar, Garage....  Then when you initially pull down all your devices they are assigned to 'Default Room" as they currently are, however that is in a dropdown field where you can from the portal reassign those devices.   Sorry if I'm being redundant just didn't sound like we were on the same page.

I think we're pretty much on the same page.  Realistically, if there was any way for me to put a device into a room programmatically, then auto-assign wouldn't be a heavy lift after that.

The issue is that which rooms devices are assigned to in HomeKit is part of the HomeKit database, NOT the device implementation.  Homebridge (and my appliance) all emulate devices, so there's no way to communicate what room anything is IN for HomeKit to pick it up.  

I could update my driver and the appliance firmware to *display* what rooms each of the devices is in, to make it easier for you to figure out how to manually assign each device to the proper room in HomeKit, but it would only be display, for your reference.

Thanks!

Control4 really should buy this work from you and include it as a standard feature within their controllers. The integration is so much faster then opening the app and navigating to the lights you want to turn on.

They should also look at the Home app, the 3d touch to pull of scenes needs to be in the c4 app, along with widgets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

Thanks!

Control4 really should buy this work from you and include it as a standard feature within their controllers. The integration is so much faster then opening the app and navigating to the lights you want to turn on.

They should also look at the Home app, the 3d touch to pull of scenes needs to be in the c4 app, along with widgets

I don't see that happening.  To "officially" support HomeKit, you have to go through MFI certification and include a hardware encryption chip in your hardware.  I sincerely doubt Control4 wants to deal with that, and it would mean that even IF they did, it would only work for future controller releases and wouldn't be available on any existing hardware.  Also, even with Siri functionality coming to 3rd party devs in iOS 10, what's available to us doesn't include HomeKit grammars (since Apple expects users to interact with HomeKit via HomeKit), so I highly doubt that will ever be something the native C4 app can do.  

Now, certainly, I think Control4 should definitely expand its view on what "should" be in their native app.  Force Touch menus, Control Center widgets, etc, should all be something they could easily build, but I think they're going with the "we must keep our apps consistent across platforms" line of thinking, which means the native apps will always only have the "least common denominator" for features.  Sad, but I can at least get the logic of it.  

I don't actually use the C4 app for much anymore.  I do everything through HomeKit and I'm much happier for it.  The only time I pull up the C4 app is if I need to manage multimedia, like if I want to start Pandora playing back in my office, or choose a TuneIn station.  

To follow-up on that last bit... I could certainly see Control4 offering an "official" HomeKit bridge... It would basically be something like my appliance, but with official MFI and hardware encryption, built small enough to just "plugin".  That would give them a means to have a proprietary internal interface on the controllers so adding a 3rd party driver wouldn't be necessary.  Since it could be a "built-in" part of the OS at that point, it could self-discover the bridge and auto-configure most everything without the user needing to be involved at all.  

Doesn't seem like something they'd be interested in though... HomeKit is too much like a competitor.

Hey Joshua, was thinking of using an iPod touch with an external microphone and having the iPod touch connected to power and the "Hey Siri" option turned on. To allow for an Omni directional microphone to be placed inside a room. Similar to the echo. The customer I am about to implement the system and your HomeKit appliance in. Has actually requested a way for it to work that way. Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

Happy Automating!

All right, I have connected to drop in appliance home bridge. Set up was quite simple! Add the driver to Control4, Open Home app on iPhone and add device.

Log into the Home bridge using my web browser and log in credentials provided. Click one button to get current configuration another to save and then restart home bridge.

30 seconds later, I was turning my lights on and off with Siri

Happy Automating!

Wish list for configuration.

Control4 driver:

1. The ability to import config from control4.

2. Save director config.

3. Save homebridge config.

4. Restart homebridge.

Having this ability, will save someone under simple circumstances the need for logging directly into the Homebridge.

Happy Automating!

On 1/25/2017 at 0:09 PM, VINCELdUB said:

Hey Joshua, was thinking of using an iPod touch with an external microphone and having the iPod touch connected to power and the "Hey Siri" option turned on. To allow for an Omni directional microphone to be placed inside a room. Similar to the echo. The customer I am about to implement the system and your HomeKit appliance in. Has actually requested a way for it to work that way. Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

Happy Automating!

I don't see why something like this wouldn't work, but I haven't done a whole ton with Siri and voice control outside of normal scenes via the Apple TV remote.  I use voice control most for opening and closing my garage doors where I naturally am not holding my devices.  

I have done some recent research into microphones for iOS. But I am finding that my iPhone 6 microphone is working from 20 to 25 feet away while looking away from it. As long as I am speaking clearly.

Happy Automating!

6 minutes ago, VINCELdUB said:

Wish list for configuration.

Control4 driver:

1. The ability to import config from control4.

2. Save director config.

3. Save homebridge config.

4. Restart homebridge.

Having this ability, will save someone under simple circumstances the need for logging directly into the Homebridge.

Happy Automating!

Interesting thoughts. I could pretty easily have the C4 driver push the config down and restart the appliance, but that might have some issues.  In some cases I can't tell the difference between a light and a dimmer, and the driver will default to treating it like a light. Also, my security panel setup is limited to only 1 zone, but all three show up in the driver anyway, so I needed to hide zones 2 and 3. 

I suppose for very simple setups where there's not a lot to cope with, the "driver only setup" might be ok, but for a lot of the more detailed config, you'd need to go to the web portal. 

16 minutes ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

Interesting thoughts. I could pretty easily have the C4 driver push the config down and restart the appliance, but that might have some issues.  In some cases I can't tell the difference between a light and a dimmer, and the driver will default to treating it like a light. Also, my security panel setup is limited to only 1 zone, but all three show up in the driver anyway, so I needed to hide zones 2 and 3. 

I suppose for very simple setups where there's not a lot to cope with, the "driver only setup" might be ok, but for a lot of the more detailed config, you'd need to go to the web portal. 

I don't think it's necessary to to have it automatically push the config and restart the appliance. However, under the actions tab in the driver, you could add the buttons there. And listed in your documentation as initial steps for basic configuration.

Also, as far as the light switch and dimmer goes, in the proxy, could you not read the device or its proxies to determine if it has the light_level as well as the Light_State. perhaps adding a second device altogether that must match a criteria like this? two proxies instead of just one?

hope I do not sound crazy. Or am covering something that has been considered before.

PS. I have used the Leviton omniproii driver from houselogix. And on any of the devices I wanted to be configured, For specific type, I would add $ or % in the device name. Perhaps, setting it up this way initially may save some dealers a lot of time when adding 50-60 light switches and dimmers at a time.

So should this setup have known what was a switch and what was a dimmer? Everything originally showed up as switches until I changed them to dimmers.

I see the driver at some point was upgraded to see locks. My Kwikset locks in c4 did not come into HomeKit

53 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

So should this setup have known what was a switch and what was a dimmer? Everything originally showed up as switches until I changed them to dimmers.

I see the driver at some point was upgraded to see locks. My Kwikset locks in c4 did not come into HomeKit

It depends on what your setup looks like. My driver looks first for specific installed devices. It will look for switches and dimmers by specific model. If it doesn't find them that way, then it goes through any devices using the light proxy. I don't have a way to differentiate between switches and dimmers that are found that way, because they both are. If you contact me via PM, I can probably work out what model/driver your dimmers are and add that to my "support by model" list. 

Same thing goes for locks. I'm looking for anything that pulls out of the lock proxy. If your Kwikset locks are using a different version of the proxy then I may not find them or they may not work the same way. Again, PM me and I can update the driver to support it. 

That's not actually 100% true. It does differentiate between dimmers and switches already if it finds devices it knows. It picks out mine just fine, but I have a limited set of hardware to test with here. I'm adding specific devices to the "known list" as people make me aware of them. 

My apologies. My misunderstanding.

I noticed it did not add the clipsal dimmer driver I added. Instead it defaulted to a switch. However, I may have used the v1 version.

Happy Automating!

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in. I know you are busy Joshua. Just wanted to post that the driver with drop in appliance is working flawlessly. Looking forward to native blind control as well as thermostats as well.

Happy Automating!

18 minutes ago, C4RVA said:

I'm ready to buy this appliance  and willing to beta test. Take my money! 

I can sell you mine for what I paid.  I couldn't make it work in my system and I don't have the time to deal with it. PM me if interested. 

Eddy

24 minutes ago, eddy.trochez said:

I can sell you mine for what I paid.  I couldn't make it work in my system and I don't have the time to deal with it. PM me if interested. 

Eddy

Eddy.. I've been waiting to hear from you. I was working with Vince on another thing and had an idea. You didn't happen to have duplicate device names in your imported devices, did you? Vince ran into that. It freaks HomeBridge out. Giving the devices unique names fixes the issue right up and the appliance is then discoverable. 

I'm working on a software update that disallows duplicate device names, but for now, just manually making sure they're unique should do it. 

55 minutes ago, C4RVA said:

If you're ready to give up I'm in. If it's okay with Josh. 

It's fine with me, although since the purpose of a beta is to help iron out issues I can't possibly see using just my own setup, I'd really like to figure out what was blocking Eddy's setup if possible. If not, having the unit in the hands of someone else who wants it and who will give me feedback is a valuable thing for me. 

Seem to be having some issues with the door locks...  The are discovered when I download the Director Configuration and subsequently show up in Homekit after restarting the appliance. However if I "Save" the configuration the doors go away both in the appliance list and in homekit.  Attempts to import the locks again work intermintently, that is sometimes its imported right away, sometimes I have to perform the procedure several times before they show up again. 

21 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

Seem to be having some issues with the door locks...  The are discovered when I download the Director Configuration and subsequently show up in Homekit after restarting the appliance. However if I "Save" the configuration the doors go away both in the appliance list and in homekit.  Attempts to import the locks again work intermintently, that is sometimes its imported right away, sometimes I have to perform the procedure several times before they show up again. 

PM me and we can work it out. I'm guessing it's a special character in the name I didn't account for. 

Archived