C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless Light Switch

cpotts

Hello, I recently installed a new C4 wireless light switch (sw120277)  and I'm having some problems.  The switch is connected to a four light (60w bulbs) pendant light.  The pendant light works fine with a traditional light switch.  The problem is that once I installed the new C4 switch the pendant light doesn't come on.  When I put a multimeter on the the load, I see it go from 0 to 120 when the switch is turned on so I know the switch is working.  I understand that the older switches had issues but I haven't had any problems with the new ones until now.  If I put the traditional light switch back inline everything works fine with the pendant light.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Cliff

it sounds like the wiring is not correct i would disconnect both hot leads and test which is hot. then wire it to the black on the switch. the lead that is not hot connect to the red leg of the switch.  

also is this in a three way setup with another switch else where?

All of my other rooms are single switches and I just figured out that this one is actually a 3way.  The second light switch is in the garage and I never even knew it existed until today.  I have the C4 switch on the line side of the run.  Can I get away with using the existing traditional switch on the load side or do I have to connect a 2 button keypad?  I would rather use the existing switches on the load side so that I can use the money on more switches throughout the house.  Thanks as always for the help.

25 minutes ago, cpotts said:

All of my other rooms are single switches and I just figured out that this one is actually a 3way.  The second light switch is in the garage and I never even knew it existed until today.  I have the C4 switch on the line side of the run.  Can I get away with using the existing traditional switch on the load side or do I have to connect a 2 button keypad?  I would rather use the existing switches on the load side so that I can use the money on more switches throughout the house.  Thanks as always for the help.

no, you can't mix the two.  You need control 4 switches in both location.  And you want the switch/dimmer on the load side and the 2 button (or 6 button whatever) on the line side

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

no, you can't mix the two.  You need control 4 switches in both location.  And you want the switch/dimmer on the load side and the 2 button (or 6 button whatever) on the line side

not true.

how you wire a 3 way with one regular and control4 switch.

wire the dummy "old switch" on the load side.

send the load wire to one side of the old switch.

INTENDED result if you use ONLY the control4 switch you will have full control of the light. If any one turns off the light from the OLD switch side the control4 switch will not be able to turn on the light until you turn it back on.

Thanks everyone for the help here.  I purchased the auxiliary switches for the second location.  I believe I just have a couple last question.  

Is it best practice to put the wireless switch on the load or line side?

It appears that this 3-way only has a ground, line/load and 2 travelers so I don't have a neutral.  Is there any way around not having a neutral?

update - all of the neutrals were tied together at the load side box.  I ran the neutral and yellow auxiliary down the traveler wires to the line side switch box.  Does this sound right and does it meet code?

Archived