C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat problem - this is crazy

C4Newbie

So my dealer started my C4 install last week and they have been having some glitches. We are replacing all of my thermostats in the house (5 of them) and the house is about 4,000 sq ft. We installed a couple of dimmers to act as repeaters.

The first problem is that the zigbee signal is not broadcasting throughout the house well enough to let the tstats communicate, BUT, this is not my major issue.

The major problem is that I've shut off all of the thermostats (and selected "Hold on" and "perm") and my burners keep going on and off. My house has stayed between 72-75 degrees for the past 24 hours and it is in the 50's outside. The blowers / fans in each room are not going on and off but with the heat from the burners in the basement going, the house is staying warm (and this is probably costing me a fortune).

How could this be? Why won't the burners stop kicking on? My dealer says the tstats might not be "bound" but he has not been able to get back to the house (they also have not been able to enable remote access - another problem).

Any thoughts?

So my dealer started my C4 install last week and they have been having some glitches. We are replacing all of my thermostats in the house (5 of them) and the house is about 4,000 sq ft. We installed a couple of dimmers to act as repeaters.

The first problem is that the zigbee signal is not broadcasting throughout the house well enough to let the tstats communicate, BUT, this is not my major issue.

The major problem is that I've shut off all of the thermostats (and selected "Hold on" and "perm") and my burners keep going on and off. My house has stayed between 72-75 degrees for the past 24 hours and it is in the 50's outside. The blowers / fans in each room are not going on and off but with the heat from the burners in the basement going, the house is staying warm (and this is probably costing me a fortune).

How could this be? Why won't the burners stop kicking on? My dealer says the tstats might not be "bound" but he has not been able to get back to the house (they also have not been able to enable remote access - another problem).

Any thoughts?

I might say not bound correctly. Does your dealer have remote access? They can check this.. What Version are they using? 1.3, or 1.6?

They have not been able to enable remote access yet. I am waiting for their "network guy" to come and do this. I have an apple extreme router.

It's a brand new install so they are running v1.6. I did notice that the dip switches were set for "electric" and not for "fuel" so I just changed them. I'll see if that helps but I'm also concerned they didn't wire correctly as well as not bind correctly.

They have not been able to enable remote access yet. I am waiting for their "network guy" to come and do this. I have an apple extreme router.

It's a brand new install so they are running v1.6. I did notice that the dip switches were set for "electric" and not for "fuel" so I just changed them. I'll see if that helps but I'm also concerned they didn't wire correctly as well as not bind correctly.

Are the Thermostats set to draw power from the unit(s) full time or power steal? If the bindings are not correct this would cause your HVAC to do what it is doing. Sorry, wish I could assist but with no remote access no assist.

Are they coming first thing tomorrow?

How many furnaces do you have?

I hope they are coming first thing tomorrow. They are not very committal. I have 2 furnaces

Power stealing is disabled. Also, they just told me that the settings as they left them - pointing to electric, not fuel, is how they should be set. I'm not sure why since I have oil furnaces.

Any thoughts?

I hope they are coming first thing tomorrow. They are not very committal. I have 2 furnaces

Power stealing is disabled. Also, they just told me that the settings as they left them - pointing to electric, not fuel, is how they should be set. I'm not sure why since I have oil furnaces.

Any thoughts?

First of all it doesn't sound like the project is complete so hopefully they will.

Second, given you have Oil Furnaces the T Stats should be pointing to Fuel.. Hopefully they just assumed incorrectly. I don't like to overstep boundaries with another dealer involved.

I do wish you the best.

There are some other dealers on here as well for assistance.

If you would like you can keep us apprised of your situation.

Good Luck.

The dealer mentioned they called tech support and they were instructed to move the switches to "electric" because of the hot water tank also being connected to the furnace. Unfortunately I did not get any further details.

Do you know what ramifications this would have by making the wrong selection?

Agreed, they are not done with the install but having my furnaces constantly working (and overworking) for the past few days is costing me more than I will probably save all year being able to control remotely control the thermostats.

Anyway, thanks very much for the input. It helps knowing I can reach out and get some feedback and support from others.

Are you sure they're not power stealing? Yank the batteries out of the units and put them back on the wall. Do they light up? What about when you turn the heat on? Do they still light up and remain lit?

Archived