C4 Forums | Control4

remote not working

I dropped my remote and the lcd screen cracked. Needless to say I no longer can see the screen. I would like to replace it but the installer does not return his calls (I think he may be going out of business). I am considering using a Logitech Harmony Universal Remote. Can anyone tell me if it will work as good controlling my home theater as the Control4 remote? Additionally, If I go with a Control4 remote as a replacement can I program it myself? I am tired of trying to find RELIABLE home theater people around here. The last guy was the third one and I have called two others listed on the Control4 web site as dealers and neither has returned my call. Help!!

No, the harmony wont work in many ways like the c4 remote will.

No, you can't add the new remote without assistance from a dealer - any dealer.

Why dont you give Bryan at the SOHO shop a call? He may still have a great deal on v2 remotes. (866)867-1628.

Why not "Pre-Program"? I do it all the time, if I am to use a Logi or similar. Saves time and that way I'm not trying to use the clients internet (find network, ask client IF he knows his WEP or sec. pass, etc). Wouldn't the same apply here? If the dealer can logon through 4sight and get the programming, then why do it remotely... just send the remote pre-programmed and ready to go on arrival. ???

How exactly are they going to learn the remote into the system without having an identified controller in the project?

It works best if you identify it with the proper controller at the actual location. Otherwise, you're configuring a controller as if it were their controller, then identifying the remote, then you have to replace the UUID of their controller back in where yours was identified.

RyanE

Ryan is right on. Control4 is more stable when it captures the UUID on the correct controller. Ship out the remote, remotely login, customer presses the red C4 "4" times, probably an update and initialization that the system will perform and voila.......up and running.

Harmony is a one room solution remote that has simple logic. If it has a docking station.....read some reviews before you buy. We've replaced all but 2 over the past few years with Control4.

Best of luck.

Archived