C4 Forums | Control4

Difference between 2 button & switch?

akg4y

The 2-button is a keypad, it has no functionality to switch a load.

The switch is just that, it's a switch that controls a load. Typically Fluorescent or a fan, which cannot be controlled with a dimmer.

They aren't directly interchangeable, because one of them has 'provider' bindings, the other has 'consumer' bindings. Sort of like one is a socket and the other a plug. When you setup a 3-way connection in the software, the 2-button keypad (or multiple of them) can connect to a dimmer or a switch and control it, but a dimmer or a switch can't directly take the place of the 2-button.

You can make it work, by manually programming the button press and release for each button, and manually programming the LEDs to follow the dimmer/switch LEDs, but it's more work.

RyanE

• 3 weeks later...

I guess the question I have regarding this is how do you install a 2, 3, or 6 button then? Does it have to be on the other end of a 3-way with a dimmer/switch in order to work?

For example in my nursery I have a regular non-C4 switch for a light. If I want to put in a 6 button there I couldnt just take out the switch and put in a 6-button with 2 of the buttons controlling the light and the other 4 buttons doing other random things, could I? If I cant do that, then how do I install a 6 button without taking out something else, do I just have to add a new single gang box?

I guess the question I have regarding this is how do you install a 2, 3, or 6 button then? Does it have to be on the other end of a 3-way with a dimmer/switch in order to work?

For example in my nursery I have a regular non-C4 switch for a light. If I want to put in a 6 button there I couldnt just take out the switch and put in a 6-button with 2 of the buttons controlling the light and the other 4 buttons doing other random things, could I? If I cant do that, then how do I install a 6 button without taking out something else, do I just have to add a new single gang box?

The 6 button does not have the ability to have the light wired to it so you can't just remove the non-C4 switch. You would need to replace the non-C4 switch with a C4 dimmer or C4 switch.

If you want to install a 6 button (or 3 or 2 button) you would have to make room to install it in the electrical box in your wall.You must either remove something or have a larger box installed. I have cut out many electrical boxes so I can install a bigger box for a keypad, it is a pain and a lot of work.

Ive just added a single gang box next to my existing switches. much easier then taking everything out to enlarge and replace.

That is also an option. I just think it looks better if you make the box bigger as opposed to a secondary box right next to an existing box.

Ive just added a single gang box next to my existing switches. much easier then taking everything out to enlarge and replace.

That is also an option. I just think it looks better if you make the box bigger as opposed to a secondary box right next to an existing box.

agreed assuming you are on the receiving end of the payment and/or have time and have the room between studs etc ;)

This is a good time to bring up my number one most desired Control4 product. More importantly, it's the product that would make C4 the most easily retrofittable system imaginable. There's a thread on it here:

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=1312

but in a nutshell it would be a load-controlling switch or dinner with additional keypad buttons on it. That way, you could replace a switch (either C4 or non-C4) and add keypad functionality without having to cut more holes in the drywall.

--Jason

That would definitely be most helpful...

In the meantime, I have one other option. If I have a single switch controlling a wall outlet (for something like a table lamp in a bedroom) would it be easy enough to have an electrician take out that switch, make it so the outlet is permanently on, and put a 3-button in the place where the switch was?

This is exactly what we did. Each bedroom had a switch by the door that controled the top potlet of all of the wall outlets in the bedrooms. I hated this. When we put in our system we has our dealer make the outlets hot all the time and install a 3 button for the room. See the attached pic. We are in the process of adding 30 more switches, 35 more dimmers and 5 3 buttons, All the beadrooms will now have at least one 3 button by the door. It can be done.

Archived