C4 Forums | Control4

Is C4 for me?

I am nearing the end of my complete remodel. Part of the project was full automation and when this started two years ago I was dead set against using something like C4. The reasons being are that the system seems overpriced and I am very technical so I hate the idea of being dependent on a third party to make changes to my system. If I get a new receiver or a new TV I'm more than able to learn how to make the changes myself, and I want to be able to do that without depending on someone else and paying them to do what I could easily do. Same goes for changes to the logic/operation of the system. 

However, doing what I want to do reliably and in a sophisticated manner is easier said than done in the DIY arena. I think I'll be happier with something like C4 but the dependence on a dealer for every change goes against every fiber in my being.

The plan was to use an HAI OmniPro II + RadioRa2 and I hired a local HA contractor who has prewired everything. I can do almost everything I want to do with HAI reliably, but not in a very sophisticated manner. HAI lacks a robust Android app and their keypads, thermostats, etc. look antiquated. Plus since Leviton bought HAI there has been zero progress so the system is fairly obsolete on day one. It does the job today but the future is murky.

So I'm about to start exploring the C4 route. But I'm not sure how practical the transition is. Right now I've got every speaker, TV, camera, alarm sensor, etc. wired into a central equipment closet and there is a giant mess of spaghetti that I don't think anyone else can make sense of. I understand that C4 can work with the OPII. If I go the C4 route should I have the current integrator complete the alarm component and then just label the remaining wire?

HAI actually has a nice distributed Audio system with a nice keypad volume control in each zone and I've wired for this. Will C4 work with the Leviton HiFi distributed audio controller or will I have to use C4 equipment? If so will I be able to have in-room volume control using the existing prewire?

Finally, I know that end users have the ability to make some changes on their own. What exactly can I do on my own? And how likely is it that a C4 integrator will allow me to have full access (with the understanding that if I break something that's not his fault)? That last question might have to be answered via private message because I know it's technically not allowed.

Sorry for the super long first post here. Hopefully someone will be kind enough to answer some of my questions! :-)

I am very technical so I hate the idea of being dependent on a third party to make changes to my system

8 hours ago, uscpsycho said:

but the dependence on a dealer for every change goes against every fiber in my being

and I want to be able to do that without depending on someone else and paying them

C4 is and will be a dealer model - there is no indication that this will change.

Without going into the discussion of how, what, why - keep that in mind.

And how likely is it that a C4 integrator will allow me to have full access (with the understanding that if I break something that's not his fault)? That last question might have to be answered via private message because I know it's technically not allowed.

Basically zero. Doing so goes against the dealer agreement, and dealers, including some of the biggest (volume) dealers, have been terminated for it. I never say never - and nothing is impossible, but.....'technically not allowed' doesn't even begin to cover it.

Finally, I know that end users have the ability to make some changes on their own. What exactly can I do on my own?

Simply put, the ONLY things you truly CANNOT do is add device drivers and make/change connections - two items that can be done quite easily (as in quickly, so cheaply) remotely by a dealer if required. This is assuming you buy a copy/license for ComposerHE (one time charge). Oh I suppose you cannot rename a driver either - thought there's a driver made to allow you to do this anyway :)

With that out of the way:

HAI actually has a nice distributed Audio system with a nice keypad volume control in each zone and I've wired for this. Will C4 work with the Leviton HiFi distributed audio controller or will I have to use C4 equipment? If so will I be able to have in-room volume control using the existing prewire?

I don't think C4 will play overly nice with the HAI audio. Ability to to in-room volume control on a keypad will depend on the wires there - if there is a spare 2 conductor (or more) to be used - then yes. This can be accomplished in several ways at that point.

Right now I've got every speaker, TV, camera, alarm sensor, etc. wired into a central equipment closet and there is a giant mess of spaghetti that I don't think anyone else can make sense of. I understand that C4 can work with the OPII. If I go the C4 route should I have the current integrator complete the alarm component and then just label the remaining wire?

Based on the limited knowledge of the current setup, I would have the current integrator take care of security and lighting for RA2, leaving audio/video to the side. Tstats could be done too - though I'd suggest going with something else (C4 or other 3rd party, plenty of options). Leave RA2 as a separate system, no tie-in to HAI

RA2 can be integrated quite well into C4 - HAI as a security system is OK too. Have C4 take care of audio/video directly, integrating the HAI and RA2.

Only you can decide if 'C4 is right for you'.

Archived