C4 Forums | Control4

Apple Time Capsule

C4GeekDamon

Folks,

Any issues with using an Apple Time Capsule for my router with my C4 setup? I would only use the hard drive on the Time Capsule for Time Machine backup. My controller is an HC-500, and for some reason it seems to not allow me static when I am connected to it, but allows me access when connected to my 2-Wire modem form ATT(which I DONT want to do) Any help would be great

I'm not sure if you own one already or not. If you haven't bought one yet, don't. They're very slow and lack the customization setting for a more advanced setup. You're better off looking at the Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. Great device and support.

/Dave

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally I love the Apple Airport Extreme. Sadly however I have to agree with what has been said, the Time Capsule is not a great option as a router. I owned one and had it fail about 18 months after purchase (out of warranty) When it's working it's a great option for time machine, but not a great NAS for anything else, and it just isn't as stable a router as the Airport Extreme. So to answer your question I would use an Airport as the router and find a better NAS solution. If all you'll be using it for is Time Machine, then you can always look at using a USB drive connected to the Airport, but this is not a good solution for ANY other use other than time machine. I would consider other NAS options first.

Robert

Any updates to this discussion. I have customer that would like to use time capsule as his link between iTunes and Control4. Or better yet, has anyone figured out how to stream from a Mac to a Control4 Controller?

KAP

I'm a little confused as to what you're asking. How exactly is a time capsule supposed to be the "link" between iTunes and C4? If we are talking about pumping music from iTunes into the C4 distributed audio I suggest getting an Airport Express with AirTunes (about $100) and hooking the audio out into the C4 controller. If however you are talking about a shared storage location....I have yet to find a perfect solution.

Storing music on the computer you have itunes on and sharing the folder across the network is one of the more stable options all around, but it does require that your computer stay on. Using any sort of NAS device works well with control4, but iTunes can be a little challenging depending on your setup. If C4 is the main music source, I would recommend a C4 storage solution (ie get an HC-1000 which I think should be in pretty much every project larger than a TV, DVD and 2 lights. Or connect a USB drive to a controller)

I've been running my system with all my music stored on a C4 Media Controller (yes I know it's old) and pointing iTunes to the network location on the media controller (use static IPs to get better stability here) Every once in a while iTunes coughs a bit, but I mainly use C4 for music and iTunes to rip new CDs into the system.

Of course the other option is to connect the mac audio directly to a controller or speaker point, but then you have to deal with an encoding delay (about 5 seconds) so it's useless for anything video related. You can also use an Apple TV as an Airtunes option, this would also provide a big screen itunes video option as well.

Good Luck

Robert

Archived