C4 Forums | Control4

Stuck on 2.5.3, what are the options for media players?

I have a legacy C4 system with 2.5.3 and I don't feel it is worth the cost to upgrade.  But I would like to see what I can do with what I already have.  All of my media is on a NAS, movies get ripped to it and I use a combination of Nvidia shield, XBMC/KODI, and WDTV Live boxes to play the content.  The prior owners had DirecTV and Verizon hookups and there are 3 inputs available on the system now that I could use.  I would like to just use 3x nvidia shields and have the C4 remotes work with them but it seems I need to have at least 2.7 to use the Chowmein/XBMC plugin.

I am not tied to any particular player, I just want something that can mount a NAS/Windows/SMB share and play videos (avi, mkv, mp4, etc).  I have several computers that could be used instead of a particular device.

I'd rather not do anything too expensive, as I could always just put a Nvidia shield on each TV and solve the issue.  I'd prefer something central that could work with my existing 8x8 input switcher.  What would you do?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived