C4 Forums | Control4

Question about card-access thermistor and doorbell sensors...

akg4y

I am looking into using the cardaccess doorbell sensors and thermistor and was wondering if anyone knows if two doorbells and one thermistor can be connected to a single wireless contact switch? Basically I want to do what is on page 5 here:

http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/inhomeproducts/files/CA_IGA_1_3_Install_Guide.pdf

However, instead of connecting to two garage contacts I would connect to two doorbell contacts. ie, doorbell one on pins 1&2, doorbell 2 on pins 3&2, and thermister on pins 4&2. Would that work?

An unrelated question, on page 6 of that same PDF, what are the dotted relay connections seen above the wireless contact switch? I thought the whole point was that this didnt need to be connected via wires to the HC-300 etc?

You can hookup the two doorbell buttons instead of the rail mounted contact switches. One thing to note is that if your doorbell buttons have lights in them this will not work. There is a part from Elk that will allow the the light to work. Card access sells a doorbell kit, take a look at the card access website.

The dotted lines you are referring to are the relays inside the wireless relay.

I think the CardAccess pieces have a built-in temperature sensor, I don't think you can hook an external one up.

I don't think the contact inputs on the CardAccess device can be used for analog inputs such as a thermistor. They're meant for door or window contacts, which are a binary input, not analog.

RyanE

Based on the data sheet from CA both the contact relay and the contact switch have internal thermistor. Only the contact switch has an optional external thermistor.

http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/inhomeproducts/files/CA_InHome_Wireless_Contact_Switch_Data_Sheet_HiRes.pdf

http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/inhomeproducts/files/CA_InHome_Wireless_Contact_Relay_Data_Sheet.pdf

Since you will be using the contact switch for your doorbell you will be able to hookup the thermistor.

maybe a dumb question, but whats the thermistor for?

i have a cardaccess unit that is installed just under the house and it does register the outdoor temperature among other things. you can like they said use the temperature reading to make adjustments in the home etc. i never saw the point in having my c4 mts units tell me indoor temperature since i have numerous stats that do that already, so i have the outdoor temperature read out on the mts units now...

Shane, what sort of programming do you have set up for the thermistor? What exactly do you have it set to do?

ak

i attached a ss. i just got the inhome wireless card about a year ago so i havent fiddled with it as much as i'd like yet. however, i do register the outdoor temp on my mts units as i mentioned and shown. once the outdoor temp rises above 90 and/or 100 degrees, it does email me, so if im not in the area and sweating myself, i can make changes via the mycontrol4 website. im considering making adjustments to the tstat settings based on the outdoor temp, which seems logical, i just havent done it yet. i do find the inhome card to be a very versatile and useful product all around.

by the way, the doorbell thing is cool too because i set announcements for it as well as light flickers based on doorbell presses, as well as email to me so i do know if someone came by. i have a man room which you cannot hear the doorbell from.

Interesting, thanks.

Hm I wonder if I can have my front door camera take a picture and have the system email me a photo of who came to the house....

Yes you can, and you don't need C4 or any other control system for that. Most (all?) IP-enabled cameras with motion sensors can do this today. I use various Panasonic models around the house, the one that handles my front door is one of the wireless ones, it emails me pics of the area in front of my door once it detects motion. It can also record all activity in a SD card or save on a NAS etc.

• 8 months later...

Archived