C4 Forums | Control4

Roku Netflix Player

MSI

I've seen many good reviews - but I'm biased. :)

I was a beta tester for the the Roku Netflix Player since late '07 and have the current production and beta versions. For example, I can tell you a lot about the current Netflix content, streams, etc. Haven't tried Amazon streaming -- my beta build doesn't have it yet. What would you like to know?

Max

@jbs - both Roku and Tivo play exactly the same content and video streams. So your experience would be similar w/Roku

@MSI - I've never used Popcorn Hour or Playon -- can't comment on it.

I did compare Netflix streaming on Boxee with native on the same Mac. Our (Netflix's) Silverlight client had visibly better quality playing the same content. It also property rendered Trickplay (ff/rew). Boxee crashed when trying to play streams with a previously set bookmark. This doesn't take anything away from what Boxee created -- it's quite cool.

Max

I have 1 and I love it... for $100 it's a perfect price point. I subscribed to the "new netflix on-demand" RSS feed, so I'm always updated when there's new releases. Also they teamed up with Starz, so whatever Starz is showing, you can watch. If you have a Netflix account, I would highly recommend the Roku.

Now, there are other devices out there that do Netflix streaming devices available (xbox 360, LG & samsung bluray players, etc.), and if you don't have any of these and are considering one, it's awesome. I have it integrated with my control4 system nicely, as well. I also have a nice internet connection (Optimum Online 30Mbps down), so I'm sure that help me always get high quality streams all the time. Additionally, I know they just signed a deal to stream on-demand movies with Amazon. Frankly, I have an AppleTV and I would probably use that device to stream paid/rented movies instead of the Roku (via Amazon). Who knows, there might be movies on the Amazon that aren't on the AppleTV...

Either way, I give it a thumbs up....

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
The new Samsung bluray players have Netflix functionality built in, as well as blockbusters streaming service, Pandora and Youtube.

Just installed one for a customer. It is great.

Skip the Roku and get one of these.

I agree, my 3600 after firmware update is amazing with Netflix Watch Instantly and Youtube. Mine is wireless off of my ATT Uverse box's wifi, and the PQ is pretty dang good. Never had drop outs or buffering issues either, surprisingly.

Archived