C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI "signal display" and test unit..

One of my only issues and problems with the new 4K HDCP 2.2 Marantz receivers (I have the SR5007 and the SR7007) is the GUI display on the front. I really miss that RED light of the Yamaha's that ensures you are receiving bitstream HDMI, and it is what it is (Dolby Digital/ Atmos or whatever) and it's clear exactly where the decoding is being performed.

It is just not clear to me what the heck is going on with these Marantz receivers!

Similar with video: you have to wait for the handshake to occur, then rule out by trial and error - switching the output resolution of the source up and up until the signal is no longer accepted by the display unit. This is more of a problem as discussed with 4K and longer HDMI runs and the recent higher and higher video bandwidths on offer by various newer players hitting the market.  

So are there any reasonably priced  "black box" type devices that do exactly that? Tell a bloke what is exactly going on in the audio and video signal chain down HDMI?

Be also cool to use such a device and test older HDMI cables before swinging them into new locations requiring higher bandwidth. Rather than the endless experimentation and guessing.  

Is there such a test unit available?

Thanks! 

There' s plenty of HDMI cable testers out there, ranging from ~50 dollars (really just useful to ensure theres no break in the cable) to hundreds of dollars (which will tell you for SURE if there's a break or not)

What you're looking for is a signal generator/analyzer - you're looking 4 digits for a 4K HDR one. Kramer has a great one, but it'll net you a $2000 bill.

Archived