C4 Forums | Control4

24 port Gigabit Switch Recommondations

sjj31a

I currently have a Cisco Linksys SR2016 16-port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch that I have been using for about 30 days and has worked well. However I am out of ports already and need to move to a 24 port. I bought this switch before reading the reviews and there seems to be many failures on it and the 24 port version is listed as very noisy.... As such I am thinking of switching brands. I am using a linksys 4400n router and 2 - 4400 - WAP's. Any recommondations? I Do Not need POE.

I did a search but the data was spotty re: the use of a Linksys 4400n with other brand switches. Thanks! Also, should I use this opportunity to upgrade to a managed switch?

We use the Dell PowerConnect 2724 and 2748 switches. Pricing is decent, and if you're an end user, you can typically pick these up off Ebay for well under Dell list. Dell likes to throw switches in for free when you buy a server or 2, so there's typically a few enterprising IT admins looking to offload switches they don't need. And... buying off Ebay doesn't invalidate the Dell warranty.

Rob

Dell Powerconnect 2724 looks good to me. There are several available for a great price.

The only thing missing is POE.

When you use these switches you must be using Power over ethernet injector with them to provide power to the touch panels.

thecodeman

I was looking at the exact same switch you referenced above.

HP Procurve 2626.

Procurve switches have great reputation with lifetime warranty.

I will have 5-7 devices and Power over ethernet injector costs $50 each.

I can get this switch from Buy.com for $414.

I will read the detailed specifications and buy it in near future.

I'm also a big fan of the HP switches. Their management UI is pretty decent, and the monitoring port functionality works like you'd expect it to (very useful when debugging a network!) They are among the few manufacturers that post noise data for their equipment, and they also have a 10/100 model that's fanless (no noise!). I'm waiting for the fanless 24-port gigabit switch. :)

What would you need POE and gigabit for? I have yet to find a POE product that uses gigabit. I have 2 switches on my home system, a Dell 2724 for gigabit, and a Dell 3548P for POE.

Rob

What would you need POE and gigabit for? I have yet to find a POE product that uses gigabit. I have 2 switches on my home system' date=' a Dell 2724 for gigabit, and a Dell 3548P for POE.

Rob[/quote']

Kill two birds with one stone, not have to worry about future upgrades, not having to worry about what port it's plugged into, not having to worry about running out of one or the other available port types?

Who thought you needed anything bigger than a floppy disk years ago? :)

We use the Dell PowerConnect 2724 and 2748 switches. Pricing is decent, and if you're an end user, you can typically pick these up off Ebay for well under Dell list. Dell likes to throw switches in for free when you buy a server or 2, so there's typically a few enterprising IT admins looking to offload switches they don't need. And... buying off Ebay doesn't invalidate the Dell warranty.

Rob

I got a 2748 today on ebay still under warranty, thanks for the advice. If 24 ports is good 48 has to be better. I can pretty much absorb 24 so the 48 will give me some flexibility. Thanks for the advice. It is manageable also!

What would you need POE and gigabit for? I have yet to find a POE product that uses gigabit. I have 2 switches on my home system' date=' a Dell 2724 for gigabit, and a Dell 3548P for POE.

Rob[/quote']

Kill two birds with one stone, not have to worry about future upgrades, not having to worry about what port it's plugged into, not having to worry about running out of one or the other available port types?

Who thought you needed anything bigger than a floppy disk years ago? :)

Lol... I want the 2 separated so I can upgrade easier in the future! Guess it's just depends upon your requirements.

Rob

We use the Dell PowerConnect 2724 and 2748 switches. Pricing is decent' date=' and if you're an end user, you can typically pick these up off Ebay for well under Dell list. Dell likes to throw switches in for free when you buy a server or 2, so there's typically a few enterprising IT admins looking to offload switches they don't need. And... buying off Ebay doesn't invalidate the Dell warranty.

Rob[/quote']

I got a 2748 today on ebay still under warranty, thanks for the advice. If 24 ports is good 48 has to be better. I can pretty much absorb 24 so the 48 will give me some flexibility. Thanks for the advice. It is manageable also!

Sjj31a - Great to hear. That's the same POE switch I use. I also added a Dell EPS 470 extended power supply as recommended by my dealer. I'm sure I don't need it now with only a few POE devices plugged in so far, but he wanted to make sure I had enough juice down the road. I found this on Ebay as well at a considerably reduced price.

Rob

Archived